News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

New 6v modern radios ???

Started by Richardonly, April 29, 2013, 09:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richardonly

Hi All,

Is anyone aware of a secondary 6v radio with cd or input for an mp3 player, that could be placed in the trunk and operated with a remote control?

If so, what brands and where?

If they do make them, what is the situation with the antenna?  My original does work, but only receives AM broadcasts.  I want to keep it working, thus needing the antenna, but what about the new, 2nd in the trunk? 

Thank you, Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Caddy Wizard

I had good success having a radio man install an aux port (miniplug) on the side of the radio for injecting FM or MP3 player input from an Ipod.  Then I got an Ipod Nano, which has an FM tuner in it.  The wire from the Nano to the input port in the Delco acted as an antenna for the FM radio in the Nano.  So I was able to play FM or stored music file from the Ipod Nano through my 6v Wonderbar.  it worked great and required no mod's to the car at all.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Richardonly

Art,

Thank you for the information and I do rememeber you mentioning this in another post.  Two concerns, maybe three are 1; the original speaker, although fine has a lot to be desired in tone quality.  2; the input jack may take away from the originality and 3; finding a competant radio man who will do it right and not make what I have worse.

Most of my trips are short, so it isn't really necessary, BUT for longer ones, it would make a nice companion.

They have a converter from 6v to 12v at about $150.00, but they have some drawbacks.  Then a radio and speakers would be needed at about $125.00-???  So that is at least $275.00 to purchase something that may cause me problems.

That is why I was wondering if a modern 6v radio with remote was made?

Thank you again, Art. 

Richard
1995 Jaguar XJ6

Caddy Wizard

The small input port goes on the side or back of the radio housing, behind the dash, and is unseen.  So originality is not impacted in a significant way.  Original style speakers will be okay, not as good as modern speakers, but I was totally happy with mine in my 50 sedan.  As for the radio man, I used a guy in Massachusetts, Bob Comtois.  He did a nice job for me and really seems to know these old tube radios well.  It was cheaper than any other alternatives and had the bonus of playing through the original radio and speaker, which I got a kick out of doing.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

Richardonly

Hi Art,

I am in Rhode Island, right next door to Massachussetts.  What city or town is Bob Comtois in?  A phone # would be great and as you said, it might be a "kick" to have "MY" music coming out of that old style radio.

Thank you, Richard
1995 Jaguar XJ6

52Cadillac

Richard, I also will be doing this or something similar soon. The port could also be used with an iPhone app such as iHeart Radio. So music from your hometown station can be played or one from another city. It pretty much stays locked on until you change, so it doesn't fade or you have to look for another station between city's. Its received by the phone but played thought the radio speaker.I've got a couple Radios. I'm interested in what it cost for Art to have that conversion done?  Where is he listed Art?
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Caddy Wizard

I think it cost me about $130 or so.  He is in Chelmsford, MA.  I don't have the phone number handy...
Art Gardner