News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Please Help ID a 1940 Cadillac that was in storage for years Original owner past

Started by dead hole, April 29, 2013, 09:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead hole

Not a Cadillac man.. Ive been into 30 to 40 fords.  This Cadillac was my friends car and owned by her father since new.. He has past and would like to sell.. He was a maintans man at Pabst Brewery.   She asked me to help with the sale.. I'm looking for any info on this kind of Cadillac.  I cleaned the Carburetor and installed new points and plugs.  Changed Fluids. The car started right up..  Brakes ,clutch transmission all seem good.  I did drive car down the road with no major problems.  I don't know for sure but I think the motor was rebuilt at sometime do to Allen head bolts in heads. The only thing I see missing is the side trim under doors.  Car was repainted at sometime also..  Thanks for any help.

C.R. Patton II

Hello Mr. Camp

Extend my condolences to the widow/family regarding their loss.

This appears to be a 1940 Cadillac 6227 CPE. Please contact Cadillac & LaSalle Club Museum & Research Center, President Paul Ayres payers@flash.net to donate this car to receive a tax benefit write off.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

52Cadillac

Sir, if a donation to the museum is not possible what would be the asking price on this piece of history? The car is located in Wisconsin?
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

R Schroeder

If the seller comes to a price, and someone wants to buy it, I probably can look at it for the interested party.
Depends on the distance from my house.
Roy

R Schroeder

I would give it a few days. You just posted the car, and it takes a few days for people to answer.
NADA price guide might help. The have a collector car section.
Roy

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars

Richardonly

I have read, reread and AGAIN reread the original post.

The man wants an estimated value of the car to SELL for his friend.  I nowhere read about him wanting to do addintional work to give it away.

Low retail on the NADA guide lists it as approx 14,000.00.  Depends on it's originality and overall condition.  Also it would bring what the market will bear.  May be 4,000-16,000.

It looks mostly complete, and that is a plus.  But how is the interior, rust situation, again originaly regarding the drivetrain, etc.

Best of luck,  Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Chris Conklin

They only made 1,322 of them. Assuming the car's condition is the same all over as the exterior photos, it's in pretty good shape. The fact you were able to drive it bodes well. If I were you, I wouldn't take less than the NADA low price of $14K.
Chris Conklin

Walter Youshock

Of the 1,322, I'd bet very few came with the sidemounts.  For a '40, it seems to be a pretty "loaded" car.  It will make someone a very proud owner.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

You've got some good info so far. Please post a picture of the aluminum data plate on the cowl. We can determine quite a lot of details from it.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

dead hole

I did get the photo of the cowl tag today.. Can someone help with the 6w that is in the corner... Thanks

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Mr. camp,
That is the correct plate.
Trim # 53 = grey-green Bedford cord 2 tone.
Paint #11= oxblood maroon.
6W=factory side mounts, 6 wheels.
A VERY rare combination.
Good luck in finding a buyer that will restore the car as original.
HTH, Bob

gary griffin

Since only 19 of this model are registered to club members and I estimate 10% of prewar Cadillac owners are club members my personal estimate is that there are less than 200 still in existence. he fact that it is a one owner car and running adds to it's value. Condition appears fair. I believe it has non standard upholstery also.  Condition is so important also. Mileage along with a history of the car will help sell it. If you list it on eBay please notify the members here also.  Do a good photo array also to help buyers determine value and condition. If the original owner bought this car in 1940 (coincidentally my birth year and I was looking for a 1940 when  I bought the 1942) he must have had a long and prosperous life. My condolences to his widow also.

Good Luck

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

C.R. Patton II

Hello Mr. Camp

You have a nice car and you have received some good advice from Bob, Chris, Gary and Bob. This is a rare CLC and  CCCA classic with six wheels. I would start the bidding at 20k to watch the flippers, sharks and vultures satisfy their summer appetites.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I agree with C.R.   

This looks like a fun project that will turn into a really nice car.

Give us all the heads-up when you put it on Ebay or for sale somewhere else.

Mike Baillargeon  #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Mr. Camp,
I think ebay is a good idea. However, I would start the bidding at $1000 & have a fair reserve. You can always lower the reserve during the auction. The idea behind a low starting point is getting the "action" going. NO professional auctions start at the top. Just my suggestion.
Bob

Richardonly

Agreeing with Bob Hoffman by starting low in an auction and adjusting the reserve as need be.

If SELLING the car in an ad, start high, emphasize it's rarity, and you can always come down to a fair agreement.

Plenty of photos help.
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

dead hole

Guys I really thank all of you for your help with this car.. I have sold it to a very great person  that is into Cadillacs.  Im not going to be naming him. Or talking about  the sale price.. If he would like he will post about the car.  I just want to say thanks to all of you that helped me..

veesixteen

Nice car. Congratulations to the buyer. We all hope it turns up in the club one of these days, in "excellent original" or "resppored" condition.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Steve Passmore

Its already within the community of Cadillac enthusiasts Yann and on its way here to the shores of the UK.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Doug Houston

All this is well and nice, but too few of cars like this are remaining in the USA. I'm cynical, but  perhaps realistic. Fopreign buyers have more money than domestic buyers these days, so the outcome of this is in the hanfds of fate.

Oh, and the body mane plate is supposed to be in body color; not bare aluminum.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929