News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Early Connecticut License Plate Backer Plate

Started by 48ragtop, May 03, 2013, 09:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ragtop

I'm looking to install a 1948 Connecticut license plate on my car.    The plate measures approximately 9.125" x 5.875" and is too small for any conventional backer plate that I've seen.   Does anyone know of a source for small backer plates to accommodate a plate of this size?    Other suggestions appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Ed Wisniewski
CLC No. 26482
Edward M. Wisniewski, CLC #26482
1948 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair Convertible
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4
2007 Chrysler Crossfire

Davidinhartford

Ed,    The current sized plates didn't become standardized across the US until 1956.   Prior to that many States were still using the smaller plates.   I would think in 48 that most still were.  Connecticut sure was.     I would think finding the smaller type bracket would be easier for a 48 than a larger one needed after 56.

What did you get to put on your 48?   I collect CT plates, but I don't have much before 57 in my collection.

RobertM

I have a friend in Oxford, CT who has a smaller plate on his '54 CDV.  I'll take a look and see what he has and if he can maybe help you out.
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

48ragtop

David:

I was able to buy actual 1948 Connecticut plates at Hersey and want to use them.    They  measure approximately 9.125" x 5.875" and are smaller than the current size plates, thus my search.   

Thanks,

Ed Wisniewski
CLC No. 26482
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4
2007 Chrysler Crossfire

48ragtop

Robert M.

Your friends plate would be the same size as mine as long as it's period correct.    If he has a backer plate i'd appreciate knowing what he used.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Best.

Ed Wisniewski
CLC No.26482
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4
2007 Chrysler Crossfire

Larry Seth Steinberg

I think our "almost square" Conn, black letters on white, plates had a run of about 25 years of use. To save on metal during the War, they began issuing the small, tab-mounting digits for yearly renewals. (That is why most collectors wind up with 1956 Connecticut examples... the last year before the blue plates came in).
Our family plates were KU300... small K & U stacked to the left and 300 centered. In 1957, we got the "long", blue set with the same KU300 in large white numerals.
The 1949 Olds (Model 76) we had from 1949-1962 used bumper-mounted sheet steel brackets that had slot openings that were wide enough to afix any state's license plates.
Perhaps a thin, narrow steel plate with a long slot... would bolt to your car's trunk & allow the narrower early license to bolt up centered in the slot ... (Put a few rubber absorbers in the inside of the slot to protect your paint.)
Larry
ex- 228 Mather St, Hartford, 12, Conn.
(Still think the blue plates were propaganda to convince people that we were "The Constitution" state, instead of the Nutmeg State.)

48ragtop

Larry:

Thanks for the response.   I'm just surprised no one makes a backer plate for these early license plates.   That being said I think I'll get some galvanized sheet steel and make my own.    Shouldn't be a big deal, just thought that someone might already have manufactured such an item.

Not so sure Connecticut is the Constitution State any longer.   Taxes and cost of living being what they are and all.   That's a discussion for another day.

Thanks, Ed
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4
2007 Chrysler Crossfire

RobertM

Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA