News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Molded carpet set, has anyone used?

Started by 52Cadillac, May 04, 2013, 09:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

52Cadillac

My 52 convertible is in need of an original Maroon carpet set. I found these folks on eBay, newenglandmustang. Has anyone used them or the molded carpet set?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350753594825?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
The 80/20 loop looks good, but I'm not sure. can anyone offer an opine I haven't considered, as they are non refundable.
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Alan Harris CLC#1513

My recollection of these cars is that the floors were flat both front and rear, which would make a molded set unnecessary. I also believe that loop carpeting came a lot later than 1952 and was mostly used in lower end cars.

52Cadillac

Hi Alan, appreciate the thoughts. Not sure why most are molded. I suspect for cost reasons, and look?
From what I can tell from the description is there are 4 cuts(styles). Loop, cut pile, Essex plush, and tuxedo blend. I think the carpet I have in now is a loop (not original to car). Kinda looks like the shag rugs from the seventies, not as tall, unravels like shag.
I also found a Daytona blend that another company says was used in 50's and 60's.
then I found Gros Point another high end carpet used in 50's. looks kinda like embroidery. Hmmm.
The last two are cut and sewn carpet only, and not as large a color selection. Since I'm not a seamstress, and won't experiment with such, I'm less likely to use them. However  If you'd like to espouse your knowledge or recollection of the above styles, I could be persuaded to capitulate like a bunch of polititicians in a late night meeting. My trim is Romany Red. I'm looking to choose the most original looking to match trim color. Now I did talk to fella advertised in Hemmings, and his price was 625 +shipping. Whoa. Said he had the correct pattern for my car. Im Not likely to that to put my feet on.
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Tito Sobrinho

Alan, the only cars in those days to have a flat front and rear floor were the Citroën Traction Avant, DKW, VW Beetle and the Porsche. Going further back, the Cord L-29, Alvis of 1928, and the '30-'31 Gardner all with FWD.  All GM, Ford, Chrysler, Studebaker, Packard and the Hudson had the lump to accommodate the transmission and the propeller shaft in the rear. Mine "49 has the molded carpet front and rear in the latter, a slight lump for the propeller shaft. The first American production car to have a flat front and rear floor was the "66 Toronado.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Alan Harris CLC#1513

When I say a flat floor, I mean a floor that does not have a step down at the door sill. Except for Hudson, the step downs started in the middle and later fifties. All of these rear drive cars obviously have a transmission hump, but the hump is considerable less than it was in later cars.

My understanding of a molded carpet is a carpet that is molded so as to follow the curves of a step down floor. Early fifties cars do not have floors that have these curves. My 1940 LaSalle has a transmission hump, but the carpeting consists of flat
unmolded pieces. The front is cut and sewn in such a way as to follow the transmission hump, but nothing is actually molded. By the late fifties, the floors in the back were lower than the sill plates, and molding became necessary for the carpet to lie neatly.

My recollection of the remnants of original carpeting that were in my 1951 Cadillac convertible is that the carpeting was a low pile densely woven wool plush with a scratchy kind of bristly feel. I don't think that a loop pile would look right. Loop pile was used in some of the sixties vintage Series 62 and Calais cars but not in the fancier models.

I agree with Mike that an authentic wool carpet is prohibitively expensive, but I think that a nylon low pile plush would look reasonably close to the original. It would have a softer feel than the original wool, but I do not think that the feel is as important as the look.