News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Windshield removal

Started by curly, May 07, 2013, 01:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curly

All, I have a 1941 6127D that has a leaky windshield. I installed new glass and seals about 5 years ago, but did not do much with the car since then. Now that I have started working on it again, I find the windshield leaking at the lower corners and division strip.  I intend to remove the glass, clean it up and reinstall.

My question is regards the wipers. The instructions I have say to loosen the wiper stanchions prior to removal. My problem is I cannot access the wipers due to an aftermarket defroster duct I installed. ( Car had no factory heater.) Since I do not intend to remove the pinchweld molding, do I need to loosen the wipers?  Thanks

T Lewis

Bob Schuman

You do not need to disturb the wiper towers at all for windshield removaland replacement, and as you know, their attachments are almost impossible to access under the dash.
When reinstalling the windshield glasses, caulk the space between the windshield rubber gasket and the pinchweld rubber that holds the stainless outside molding in place. Use 3M Automotive Bedding and Glazing Compuond, #08509. This can be ordered by any auto paint dealer if they don't stock it. It comes in a cartridge for use in a standard caulking gun, is black in color, and it is messy. After everything is back together, you will have a messy job to scrape away the excess and then use mineral spirits to finish the cleanup.
There are a variety of other sealers, but in my experience the 3M product is the best to prevent water leaks.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

curly