News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Issue with my brakes.

Started by aod92, May 08, 2013, 09:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aod92

I was driving my 70 deville the other day and I lost my brakes. The brake light came on, and the pedal got real hard. Got the car home and noticed fluid around the top of the master cylinder. Took off the cover, and the rear of the master was empty. The front was over full and pushing out around the cover. This the master, booster, or a combo of both. Car looks dry everywhere else. Thanks!

TJ Hopland

If everything else looks dry then my first guess would be the MC itself.  It may have and some sort of internal failure between the two sections and its basically pushing fluid between the two sections.  If it was a leak elsewhere in the system you would usually get a soft pedal. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Glen

I agree with TJ.  The cup seals between the front and rear of the master cylinder are leaking and the read is sucking air. 

An overhaul kit will fix that. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

aod92

I was also told the porportioning valve might be bad. Does that sound right?

Dave Shepherd

Unlikely, if that was bady ou would usually have either front or rear brakes working. Possible you are leaking back into the booster, you would see that by loosening the m/c from the booster for a look see.

aod92

Just installed a new master today and that was the problem.  But here's a weird one for you. I bleed all the brakes starting with furthest corner from the mc. I get to the right front, and I'm not getting any fluid out of the bleeder. Took it out cleaned it and still nothing.  The weird part is the caliper still works. The car stops great1 could the caliper itself be clogged right before the bleeder?

Dave Shepherd

Crack the line and see what happens.