News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Does anyone like the 1980-85 Seville?

Started by RyanBurman, May 15, 2013, 11:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanBurman

Does anyone like the 1980-85 Sevilles? I like them but I'm just wondering if anyone else does. I'd like to see if I can get one in black with a gas motor for a realistic price. What are the low production models?

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The most important question is whether you like them which is all that matters in the final analysis.

A couple of notes regarding the Seville of this generation: The diesel engine was standard in 1980 & 1981 with the gasoline V-8 a credit option. The 6.0 gasoline V-8 of these first two years is far more preferable. The gasoline V-8 from 1982-1985 is the dreaded HT 4100 which should be avoided as a general rule. On the other hand everything is relative to price and if a car is truly 100% pristine low mileage mint original, an HT 4100 model or diesel might be worth considering, if the price were attractive enough.

Under no circumstances should any candidate requiring restoration be considered; your search should strictly be limited to the very finest and best examples, period. 

As far as long term appreciation is concerned, I would rate these cars has having good to strong potential. Their styling is certainly distinctive which is a virtual guarantee future collectability and desirability. If that time ever comes, collector emphasis will lay with the 1980 and 1981 models with the 1980 being the preferable of the two.

HTH,
Eric   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Richardonly

Ryan,

They are currently one of my favorite body styles along with their elegant interior.  You seldom if ever, see them at a cruise and I have yet to see one at the NERCLC shows.  I have not seen one driving down the street in more years than I care to remember.  Even a pristine low mileage example is sold at a reasonable price.

Of course, the reason is the dreaded HT4100 engine.  It scares everyone away including myself.

I even considered buying a perfect body and dropping any other engine in it when need be, keeping the original engine for future sale with the car.  I have been told on the forum that there is only 1 or 2 engines which will fit on this vehicle. (If you can get one.)

Perhaps you should ask this question before making a purchase.

I agree with Eric that the cars hold a great deal of potential appreciation of value.  In how many years, is the unknown.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

waterzap

I like them.
Saw one in the wild a few weeks ago. I have an 87 Coupe Deville, which also has the 4100 in, but it really was a much improved engine at that point.
I test drove a 84 Eldorado once, and it really did not have any power. Cams were probably worn a bit. My 87 runs just fine, quite peppy if I say so, but it is a much smaller and lighter car than the early 80s ones.
You can probably fit an Olds or Buick engine in there. The Toronado and Riviera being the same platform.  But after all that trouble, it would probably be worth just putting in a reman engine. A Jasper reman is around $6000 installed, according to another member. If you can get the car very cheap, or almost free (or free), and only have to do the engine, then it would probably be worth it.
Leesburg, AL

debramcdonald

I love mine! It's an '85 we bought last year from the original owner with only 23,000 miles.

76eldo

If anyone wants to do a little project, I have two of these I'd like to sell.

Car 1:  Black 84, runs great, about 70K miles, MINT black interior, headliner, visors, seats, door panels, carpet and correct mats, mint steering wheel.  BUT, has some rust in doors and front fenders.

Car 2:   Black 85, runs but now well, BUT, has has rust free sheet metal.  By swapping doors and fenders with Car 1, you could have a nice Seville with tons of parts left over from Car 2.

Both cars for $1800.00! 

Cars located in Huntingdon Valley, PA  19006
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

C.R. Patton II

Hello Ryan

I concur with the sentiments presented. Also the vehicle designer and CLC member Wayne Kady, echoes a similar viewpoint. The Seville owned by the McDonald Family is a jewel too. Be selective when purchasing.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

RyanBurman

I'm not looking to see if it's ok to like them I know I do. ;D What I was asking is if anyone else did and maybe hear some owner stories and things to look out for. I'm not so much looking for one as a collector vehicle but more one nice enough to be driver quality needing only a few small things.

I will keep that in mind on the 80-81 models. I've heard many a dreaded story about the diesel version but if I found a good one cheap enough i would do it strictly for the fuel mileage.

As for the rare model question I was just curious if there were any? There is any 1982 elegante locally but he wants $6000 for it. There was another one that needed work in the town I live in but was lowmileage(30,000) bought from the original owner who used it sparingly. You could tell because even though it was left out in recent years there was no rust and the paint was decent. It ran and drove just needed a few things to be roadworthy.

I have no idea of the production figures of the Elegante model. In any case, rarity of one particular year over another or sub-model is of little consequence for the purpose of your search. Finding the right car will be difficult enough as it is. 

Your primary concerns should be: Condition, driveline and price.

Good hunting.

*One item that comes to mind is the rear calipers. The emergency brake should be used periodically on Cadillacs of this era equipped with 4 wheel disc brakes in order to keep the rear brakes in adjustment.  If the e brake does not work well, odds are rear calipers are frozen and will need replaced.   

waterzap

Thats a nice one. Probably slow as a turtle though.
Leesburg, AL

The seller's listing is incorrect.

It is not an Elegante on which two-tone paint was standard with a special interior. It is a base Seville.

Rich S

I've always loved the '80 to '85 Sevilles. It may be significant to note that in 1981 the "Touring Suspension" package became optional, and it included slightly larger tires and several suspension refinements.

I recall the first of the 1980 Sevilles that I saw in-person while at a resort hotel, and it was stunning and left a great impression (even though I had seen pictures of the redesign) and it was an Elegante in Desert Sand Firemist and Canyon Rock exterior with Light Beige Leather interior and it had the "conical" wire wheel covers and a brown mirror tinted Astroroof! What a beauty!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Matt CLC#18621

Had a Black 1984 Seville Elegante with every option and all original including cracked lacquer paint.

Purchased in 1998 with 107K sold in 2000 with 141K.

Currently looking for 1984/85 Seville Elegante must have Moonroof!!

Matt
CLC# 18621

RyanBurman

Here is the add for the elegante local to me. Way more than I'm willing to spend on one of these.
http://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/3764083893.html

linchero

Quote from: RyanBurman on May 17, 2013, 12:08:04 AM
Here is the add for the elegante local to me. Way more than I'm willing to spend on one of these.
http://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/3764083893.html

From the listing:

1982 CADILLAC SEVILLE ELEGANTE, 4 DOOR, V-8 , VERY CLEAN, VERY NICE CAR, ALL DIGITAL, LEATHER SEATS, 167,000 MILES ON BODY, ROUGHLY 40,000 MILES ON NEW MOTOR. PLEASE EMAIL WITH ONLY SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY. $6,000

It's a 167,000 mile car, a 4100 and the Elegante script isn't even in the right place (assuming it is an Elegante to begin with) which signifies the likelihood of a repaint.

At that asking price, I doubt he'll have many inquiries.   

INTMD8

I think it's a great looking car.  Nice candidate for an LS1 swap  >:D

Louis Smith

The '80 - '85 Seville were one of those cars, you either liked or didn't like.  I think the overwhelming majority of people did like it.  The bustle-back was usually the determining style factor.  They were strong reminiscent of the James Young Rolls Royce of the past.  This was a time when GM built 4 of their top of lines on basically the same chassis and same assembly line.  They were the Cadillac Sevilles, Eldorados, Buick Riverias, and Oldsmobile Tornados.  All of them were 2 door coupes, except the Seville, which was a 4 door sedan, which really set them apart from the other 3.

1963 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III LWB Saloon SCT100 by James Young

soonerinmo

The Dec. 2010 issue of Hemmings Classic Car has a great article/test drive of one, but it was an '85. Having grown up in the '80s, I kind of like the bustle-back look (and Cadillac executed it much better than Imperial or Lincoln). I would love to find a clean one but I'd prefer it be an earlier one with an updated Olds diesel (one with a water separator and updated head bolts) than an HT4100.  :)
Brian Combs ><>

'67 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Sold)
'08 DTS