News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

91 Brougham getting Diagnostic code 132

Started by BillSmith, May 22, 2013, 09:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillSmith

Hi, I have a 91 Brougham, it's been running terrible and stalling.  Yesterday I changed the plugs, distributor cap and rotor, but not the wires.  Now when starting the car the engine idles up and down and then when I put it into gear it's like it wants to stall, I have to flutter the gas pedal to keep it running.  And when I'm driving down the road it's like it wants to stall out and when I give it gas it sounds like it's bogging down and when I get to a light the car stalls. The service engine light went on and I am getting a diagnostic code 132.  When I look that up it says knock sensor, but the mechanic says that could be a false read out.  Also, I had replaced the my radio and receiver a few weeks ago with used OEM, because they both went a couple of months ago, I mention this because just yesterday the new radio started doing what the old one did when it was on it's way out, which seems like an odd coincidence that this would start to happen at the same time.  I wasn't able to switch the channels with the buttons and when I would go to turn the radio off it stays on until I turn the car off.

The mechanic is not available today, does anyone have any thoughts?

76eldo

I Googled  OBD II Code 132 and got "O2 sensor, bank1 high voltage reading".

That can make the car run the way you are describing.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

curly

A 91 would be Obd1, so OBD2 codes wouldn't apply. I don't see a code 132 listed on the charts, I believe GM OBD1 were all 2 digit codes.  Could the code be E32, with some segments of the LED not lighting? If so, 32=EGR system error.

T Lewis

76eldo

My error.

Here's the complete list of OBD I Codes:  http://www.gmtuners.com/OBD1_DTC.htm

EGR stuck open maybe?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

BillSmith

Thanks for all the information. Good point Curly, definitely a possibility.  Thanks for the code list Brian.  My mechanic was able to squeeze me in, so I dropped the car off.  I'll post the results as soon as I find out. 

Walter Youshock

You don't specify the 5.0 or 5.7 engine and I'm not sure it would make a difference.  I ran into a problem with my 5.0 '91.  Turned out to be a shorted temp sensor where coolant seeped into the sensor and corroded the wires.  As I recall, it shot an error code for something other than the temp sensor but that is what turned out to be bad.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

JTraik

Check the EGR valve, due to the age of the car it is likely the rubber vacuum diaphragm has gone south.
Jeff

BillSmith

Well, mechanic still has the car.  The way the car was driving he was convinced that it was the fuel pump. He did get a code for the EGR valve, but when he tested the fuel pump it showed it was losing pressure.  I just called him he said he worked on the car and he is still not happy with the way it's running, he is going to test drive it again and call me back.  So maybe it is the EGR valve.

BillSmith

Mechanic called back again after his test drive.  Car was running okay with air conditioning off, but as soon as he turned it on, it was real bad.