News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1971 Cadillac Eldorado spare tire

Started by Mr cadillac, May 23, 2013, 02:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr cadillac

Hi. I just purchased a 1971 Fleetwood Eldorado convertible. I am starting the restoration process. The car has no spare tire or jack. Does anyone know if a smaller donut spare came equipped on the Eldorados that year? Or is it a standard full size tire and rim? Both my 77 Coupe de ville & 88 Brougham have the smaller donut. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks Norman
Norman Jenney......Mr Cadillac

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Norman,

The '71 had the full-size spare, and I don't believe the donut came out till around 1974 or '75.

But, I have a donut on the back of my own '72.   The large one would have been way too big.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

J. Skelly

I believe the donut was first used on the 1976 models to save weight and trunk space.  My first car was a 1971 Eldorado that my grandmother bought new.  When I sold it in 1987, it still had one of the original tires in the trunk.  It was a dual whitewall (one wide and one thin), Goodyear L78-15.  I don't believe it was ever reproduced, which is a shame.  Goodyear also offered a 3" wide whitewall which was available until the late 70s.  I would occasionally see them on the streets of Detroit on the '71-'72 Eldorados.  I don't think that tire has ever been reproduced.  I still have several boxes of parts from that car as it was too far gone to save.  It came with a spare tire cover which mice unfortunately ruined while it was stored on my grandparents' farm. 

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

TJ Hopland

I remember having a 76 that had the space saver spare so they were around that year for sure.   When people say a 'doughnut' tire I think of the mini spare tires we have now days.   I think those started in some models in 79.   The tire that Bruce has is more of an expanding thing.   The rim is more or less normal.  The tire sidewall is specially constructed so that when the air is let out it folds in on itself.  With no air it sort of looks like a modern tire with maybe a 2" tall sidewall.   When you put the air in it expands out and looks like a normal tire.  The air was in a metal can sort of like a modern fix a flat can.   

Since flat tires are not that common now days and I tend to haul stuff in my trunk and my car is a covert so there is even more reason to put stuff in the trunk and less available space I have one of the 80's mini spares.  I have never had to drive a great distance with it but I have used it a couple of times.   Its the same tire that came in my 80 eldo.  I think I got it from a full size station wagon in a junkyard.  Its got a dual bolt pateren so it fits the 5 on 5  which was the full size rwd stuff and the big eldorado.   ALso has the 4 3/4? that was used on the mid size RWD and the 79-85 eldos.    The jack I have is also from the station wagon.  Its a ratcheting bumper jack sort of mechanism but it lays flat on the ground.  Works well.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

As for calling the tyre a donut, I am not sure what the correct terminology for these "Space-savers" is, but the wheel is exactly the same as the OEM wheel, and I inflate mine with a small 12 Volt compressor that i have in the trunk.

Physically comparing them with the normal tyre, there is a huge saving of space in the trunk.   Putting mine on the bumper bar really frees up space in the Convertible for the extra slabs of beer.   Or should that be a couple of Jerry Cans of additional fuel for the long trips into the Outback next year.

Oner thing I would love to see is how the tyres are mounted and de-mounted from the rims, as there isn't much room to move, as is the case of a normal tyre.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

TMoore - NTCLC

I have the inflatable spare in my 1979 Sevilles.  In addition, since I have wire wheels, I came across a spare wire rim and had saved the "best of the used" as a spare tire the last time I purchased new tires, so I have a full-sized, matching wire rim spare.  It takes up a lot of the limited trunk space in the Seville, but I thought it would be a good investment. 

Just for kicks, when I replaced the inflatable spare, I decided to see what condition it was in.  It had never been used, and had always remained under the cover in the trunk.  When I inflated it, it did not come out round - it had bulges and was not centered on the rim - it would have been useless as a spare.  It leached out all of air through the folded creases within minutes, and went back to its original shape.  I still have it for originality purposes, but as a spare, it just looks nice in the trunk.

If you are counting on using one of these as a spare, I suggest you try to inflate it to verify that it will be usable in the event it is needed.

Louis Smith

Re Wikipedia:

Certain vehicles are provided with a "limited use" spare tire, also known as a "space-saver," "donut" or "compact" spare tire â€" in an attempt to reduce cost, lower the vehicle's weight, and/or to save on the space that would be needed for a full-size spare tire. These supposed benefits are highly debatable; a space-saver is typically only 7kg lighter than a full-sized wheel. There is also the difficulty of transporting the full-sized wheel and tire once the space-saver has been fitted. The spare is usually mounted on a plain steel rim. They are typically smaller than the normal tires on the vehicle and can only be used for limited distances because of their short life expectancy and low speed rating. As well, due to the different size of a donut compared to regular wheel, electronic stability control and traction control systems will not operate properly and should be disabled until the original wheel is restored.[citation needed] Space saver spare tires also severely compromise the braking (especially on cars not fitted with anti-lock brakes) and handling of the car.[8]

cadillacmike68

^^ Which is why my Fleetwood has a full size chrome wheel that I rotate with the other 4 wheels / tires. Same for the convertible. However, there's no way a full size 18" x8.5 wheel is going to fit in the CTS or STS trunk without taking up most of the trunk, so these have the factory spare wheel (which is bigger than most donuts btw)...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Louis Smith on May 24, 2013, 11:28:15 AM
Re Wikipedia:

Certain vehicles are provided with a "limited use" spare tire, also known as a "space-saver," "donut" or "compact" spare tire â€" in an attempt to reduce cost, lower the vehicle's weight, and/or to save on the space that would be needed for a full-size spare tire. These supposed benefits are highly debatable; a space-saver is typically only 7kg lighter than a full-sized wheel. There is also the difficulty of transporting the full-sized wheel and tire once the space-saver has been fitted. The spare is usually mounted on a plain steel rim. They are typically smaller than the normal tires on the vehicle and can only be used for limited distances because of their short life expectancy and low speed rating. As well, due to the different size of a donut compared to regular wheel, electronic stability control and traction control systems will not operate properly and should be disabled until the original wheel is restored.[citation needed] Space saver spare tires also severely compromise the braking (especially on cars not fitted with anti-lock brakes) and handling of the car.[8]
This answer is referring to those teenie weenie spares that are being fitted to modern small cars.

The '70's Cadillac Space-savers (Donuts) inflate to full size, and carry the load range ratings of the standard tyres.   But, there is a warning sticker on the rim to not exceed 50 Mph.   

Anyone using one of these tyres, and actually, anyone driving a vehicle, should have the brain capacity to operate the vehicle accordingly.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Louis Smith

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on May 24, 2013, 07:40:53 PM
This answer is referring to those teenie weenie spares that are being fitted to modern small cars.

The '70's Cadillac Space-savers (Donuts) inflate to full size, and carry the load range ratings of the standard tyres.   But, there is a warning sticker on the rim to not exceed 50 Mph.   

Anyone using one of these tyres, and actually, anyone driving a vehicle, should have the brain capacity to operate the vehicle accordingly.

Actually this is the answer for any spare tire that is less then the original tire in size.  There was a time when the spares and rims were the exact same size and quality of the other 4 tires.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

When I ordered my 1973 Eldorado (factory order)  the car had the "space saver"
spare as standard equipment.  The full size spare was an option.  I decided on the
full size.  It took up a bit of room in the already small trunk, but I didn't like
the idea of the small "space saver" tire.

Funny enough, I never had to use that spare.  It's still in the trunk and has never
been on the car!!!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Gene Beaird

Quote from: TMoore - NTCLC on May 24, 2013, 11:09:02 AM
I have the inflatable spare in my 1979 Sevilles.  In addition, since I have wire wheels, I came across a spare wire rim and had saved the "best of the used" as a spare tire the last time I purchased new tires, so I have a full-sized, matching wire rim spare.  It takes up a lot of the limited trunk space in the Seville, but I thought it would be a good investment. 

Just for kicks, when I replaced the inflatable spare, I decided to see what condition it was in.  It had never been used, and had always remained under the cover in the trunk.  When I inflated it, it did not come out round - it had bulges and was not centered on the rim - it would have been useless as a spare.  It leached out all of air through the folded creases within minutes, and went back to its original shape.  I still have it for originality purposes, but as a spare, it just looks nice in the trunk.

If you are counting on using one of these as a spare, I suggest you try to inflate it to verify that it will be usable in the event it is needed.

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but how do you (do you?) secure that full-size spare in the Seville?  I have the same situation.  The spare in our Seville was long-gone. We have a full-size spare back there, but it pretty much lays where it wants to.
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873