News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Lo Jack

Started by Joe Bergeson, May 23, 2013, 06:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Bergeson

In doing a search on "Lo Jack for Classics" the last posting I found was back in 2006.

Has anyone used, familiar with, or have a more recent experience with them or recommend a similar service???
Joe B

35-709

Put LoJack for Classics in your internet search such as Google, here is what I found ----

http://www.lojackforclassics.com/
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

J. Skelly

I think what Joe means is that no one has posted comments regarding Lo-Jack Classic on the CLC Forum since 2006.  He wants to know who has purchased it and whether or not they have found it to be worthwhile.  I was wondering if it is worth the price.   
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Joe Bergeson

Your right Jim, I was not clear in my post and wondering if worth the cost as well.  Thanks,
Joe B
Joe B

Doug Houston

I'm going to get more info on it. I understand that it can be installed just about anywhere on your vhicle, and it's supposed to work equally well anywhere.

One of our guys here had a '47 Cadillac convertible stolen, while in a trailer, several years ago. It was a 100 point car. The trailer was in a fenced lot, adjacent to a building, andhad been inn thetrailer a few months before the trailer was placed. It was Maroon, with a tan leather interior, and has never been seen nor heard of since. It's probably in Australia, or Sweden.....?

So, before I park any of my cars anywhere, I'm going to want a LoJack on it. The $750 for it could save me a $50K car.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

INTMD8

This is just what I've heard, so not sure if it's at all accurate but -what I've heard- is that professional car thieves can sometimes get around it.  Also, service is not available in all states/areas

Glen

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Louis Smith

Is there any statistics or guesstimates on how many "classic cars" are stolen each year?  Off the top of my head I wouldn't think it would be that prevalent, especially with cars 40+ years old.  It would seem to me, that a car is just about the biggest and most noticeable object someone could have and be stolen.

Louis Smith

Here is an interesting site on topic.

http://www.stolenlostfound.org/stolen-cadillac

jasonthemason

#1.  Classics get stolen all the time, many times right from show lots, some great stories here: http://www.autotheftblog.com/category/auto-theft-recovery-stories/classic-cars/

#2. LoJack only works in 28 states..not Wisconsin. Due to coverage issues, probably only makes sense in Cali, NY, NJ, Texas, FL. etc.

#3. Here's a thread where you can save $400 off LoJack by using a coupon code. Normally $699, get it for only $299. http://www.pro-touring.com/archive/index.php/t-88066.html

J. Bice CLC #24805

Here is my perspective being on the recovery side in CA: unless you have a LOT of money in the car and the extra $ for Lojack is no big deal for you, then I wouldn't bother.  I have yet to recover a Lojack vehicle, and I can't say I know of an instance where I've seen it happen. Their proprietary radio locator/receiver is somewhat of a joke, especially in urban areas. In a rural area with a few cars on the road, maybe. The signal is simply too hard to pinpoint and near impossible if the vehicle is moving (unless it's right next to you, or sitting on the street parked nearby). I would rather spend my $ on multiple mechanical anti-theft methods and a loud as heck alarm. Also, if the city where your vehicle resides 99% of the time doesn't have Lojack receiver-equipped PD vehicles, you are probably wasting your money.  Something you would probably want to check out first.

That being said, any extra effort to recover a vehicle is a good thing, so if you don't mind the $, go for it. You never know.
J. Bice CLC #24805
1937 Lasalle 5019