News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1949 series 75 start button wiring

Started by piperman, May 25, 2013, 10:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piperman

Have power to my start button and after when the button after it is pushed on our 1949 series 75. Where does that start button wire go after it leaves the button. All my wires are faded after they go through the fire wall. And nothing was hooked up, when I bought the car. 
D John Anderson

Jay Friedman

After the wire leaves the starter button, it goes to the Hydramatic neutral safety switch.  From the other terminal on the neutral safety switch a wire goes to the starter relay (solenoid) on the top of the starter motor.  (If your car has a manual transmission the wire goes straight from the starter button to the starter relay.)

You may want to get a wiring diagram for your car.  There is one in the 1949 shop manual and right now there are several for sale on ebay.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

piperman

thanks for the info. will look at buying a repair manual. Didn't know they where still around. We've been using a 1959 Motors repair manual for some of our repairs. hope to have the old girl running with a rebuilt motor buy Monday.
D John Anderson

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Now for the rest of the story.

The other side of the solenoid, the bottom wire goes to the generator. When the car is not running there is a ground from the generator to the terminal on the solenoid. So when the starter button is depressed (given all is well with the electrical system) battery is applied to one terminal and the other has ground thus energizing the solenoid and engaging the starter.

Once the car starts and the rpms are high enough the ground from the generator stops so that if you push the starter button it will not engage the solenoid and kick in the starter. Amazing what the engineers did to make these early cars safe...........

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

jw
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

RussK

Thanks JW that's good info, I work on newer cars and can read wiring diagrams pretty easily so when I was looking and saw the starter switch go back to the generator, at first I was like WTF, and started to pull what hair I have left. but I was able to figure it out buy looking on how the circuit was fed
Thanks for the good write up
Russell kidd