News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 wiper malfunction

Started by Paul Tesone, May 24, 2013, 09:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Tesone

My newly rebuilt wiper motor was just installed  . Motor works fine , wipers appear to work as expected . But I can not get the squirter to squirt when  the button is depressed . However , when I turn off the ignition , a large forceful blast of washer fluid is ejected - enough to pass over the windshield . So it appears that a line or squirter tip blockage is not the problem . Seems more like a bottle pump malfunction . Any ideas ? If that's the problem , is anyone rebuilding these? Thanks, Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

57caddy

i cant get my wiper arms to move and motor is in working order as for your squirting problem defently has to be the pump

Warren Rauch #4286

Does the washer squirt any other time than when the engine is shutting down ? It would seem that since the washer is vacuum, it must be reacting to changes in engine vacuum, triggering the squirt. A misplaced vacuum line, bad valve,bad dash control,etc. is where I would look. Warren

J. Gomez

Paul,

When the vacuum is present the washer pump piston is pull by the vacuum compressing a spring which slide in the piston shaft. Once you press the button the vacuum is blocked and the force of the spring forces the piston down to pump the fluid. The cycle repeats when the button is release and depress again.

There are two small and a large rubber seals inside the pump cover one is to seal the vacuum and a second for the fluid side. You can take the pump cover (held by a “C” tension wire) off, be careful as the cover will jump do the spring tension inside. Inspect the two seals on the pump piston (clear plastic) these would the first thing I would check.

Tackling the pump (on top of the jar lid) this will be a bit more complex if it needs to be overhauled which in your case it may not.

Good luck…!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Walter Youshock

Did it work before you had the motor rebuilt? 

It shouldn't squirt at all unless the button is pushed.  After pressing the button do the wipers come on indicating the coordinator is working?  There is a brass adjusting screw on the side of the black plastic pump to adjust the length of time the coordinator stays on and amount of passes the wipers make.  Other than that, it's in the pump. 

Rebuild kits are available but the pumps are a pain to rebuild, especially the rivets.  I'll be rebuilding mine again this year.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: J. Gomez on May 25, 2013, 10:33:39 AM

There are two small and a large rubber seals inside the pump cover one is to seal the vacuum and a second for the fluid side. You can take the pump cover (held by a “C” tension wire) off, be careful as the cover will jump do the spring tension inside. Inspect the two seals on the pump piston (clear plastic) these would the first thing I would check.

As the water is ejected from the pump, I assume that both seals are still good enough. The problem must be either with the coordinator (was it replaced or exchanged?) or the "head" of the washer pump.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Paul Tesone

Thanks Warren , J , Walter & Roger . I appreciate your input . I'll let you know what I find . ....Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

J. Gomez

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on May 26, 2013, 04:43:10 AM
As the water is ejected from the pump, I assume that both seals are still good enough. The problem must be either with the coordinator (was it replaced or exchanged?) or the "head" of the washer pump.

Roger,

Good point, Mr. Eagle eye..!  ;)

Paul,

Maybe the vacuum hoses are not in the correct place, a couple of drawing for reference.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Paul Tesone

Thanks J - these drawings are great . Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Paul,
You had asked earlier in the post if anyone rebuilds these units.

McVey's has a service that rebuilds the washer unit (on the jar lid and the
pump inside).  He includes a new lid for the jar and replaces all gaskets, seals, etc.

I had mine done by him and was pleased with the result.  Call them for more info.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region