News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Fleetwood Trunk light

Started by curly, May 26, 2013, 08:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curly

I was working on this lamp today and I fixed it. (Yay me!) The spring in the bulb socket had failed, so the terminal had no contact with the base of the bulb.  Now that it is fixed, it won't turn off.  I see no mercury switch in the trunk lid, the wiring looks to be factory.  How were these lights turned on and off? Am I missing a switch somewhere?  I did climb in the trunk and close to the point just short of latching, and the light stayed on.

Thanks
T Lewis

The Tassie Devil(le)

The "switch" is a Mercury type, in the rear of the light socket.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

curly

Not on this one???  I am familiar with mercury switches and found no evidence of one.  The bulb socket and wiring looked factory, at least to me. No signs that someone was cutting and splicing wires.
I'll post up a picture of the socket soon. I am going to guess that somewhere along the way, some one changed the bulb socket to a non- mercury switch type.
Funny thing about this is, I've owned the car since 1987, I never knew it had a trunk light. :o

Thanks
T Lewis

57flw

Here is a picture of mine from my 1957.

As you can see by the photo you would not even think there was a mercury switch in there!
I do not know if yours is supposed to be the same.

Ken
Ken Francis
Hervey Bay
Queensland, Australia
1957 Series 60 Special Fleetwood

n2caddies

The mercury switch slips into the light socket between the bulb and the socket contact. They have a tendency to fall out and get lost. I'm sure they can be found at a local Wrecking yard.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

curly

The picture Ken posted is the same as mine. That explains all the slop between the wire end and the bulb.  I'm not going to find any in a wrecking yard around me.  Does anyone remanufacture them?

T Lewis

n2caddies

I have an extra if you still need one.
Randy
ranlininc@aol.com
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

curly