News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

oil check on '35 series 20 355 v8

Started by BDC2008, May 27, 2013, 11:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDC2008

I can't find a dipstick on my '35 series 20. It has a 2 inch copper tube with an opening on the side sticking up out of the block. It says "full" and "low" and there's a thin rod/wire coming out of the block into the copper tube. Is thus my oil check?

harry s

That's it. The wire is attached to a float in the oil pan. It is always a good idea to be sure the float moves freely and is giving an accurate reading.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

BDC2008

Thanks Harry! That's what I thought it was but I wanted to make sure. I acquired the car not to long ago, and im still trying to get to know her ;D

BDC2008

The float moves very easily up and down but when I pull the wire all the way up or down it stays in that position. So there's no clue on what the oil level is. Any ideas on how to approach this problem without taken the whole engine apart? :o