News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'74 eldo convt. a c system

Started by Viator Trudeau, May 27, 2013, 08:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

Hello all, my '74 eldo a c not working.   Comp.needs freon. I will add gas after i get the mechanical and elect part working.  I cant get the a c processor shaft behind the glove box to move.The vac. motor works  when vac. is applied to it. I have the manual but I need some one who has had hands on experience on where to look.
Thanks  Viator Trudeau # 8697 

Scot Minesinger

The most common failure seems to be the programmer and the electrical connectors.  First thing to do is disconnect each electrical connector and squeeze the female connectors with needle nose pliers so that they make a tighter connection.  These are notorious for coming lose and causing issues.  The programmers can be purchased as re-built and they work well.  Be sure and follow the shop manual if you remove the programmer because it must be calibrated.  It is easy to do, just won't well if you skip that step.  I have worked on 1974 and 1975 climate controls and they are not difficult.

Enjoy your Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Viator Trudeau

I recently posted on the A C of my '74 convt.  There was no F 12 in the system.  I hooked up my vac pump, the vac. gage only went to 25" of vac. and would not hold.  A friend in Tidewater is going to look for the leak.  He will pressurize the system W/ nitrogen in stead of freon 12. to locate the  leak.
On another problem the processor shaft rotates one way upon start up of engine
but wont rotate the other way??  Lots of vac. there  I have been advised poor elect. connection.  Will tighten up connectors. Hope it will work.
I have a spare A 6 I can install.
Also bad idle upon warm up.  Seems like vac. leak under carb.  Or maybe can be adjusted out W/ idle screws.  screws are screw driver slotted. No room on passenger side.  Might have to remove carb.?? to find leak.  Any ideas out there. Thanks   Viator Trudeau