News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

I FOUND THE IMPOSSIBLE..1936 CADILLAC HUBCAP REPRODUCTION

Started by steve36, May 29, 2013, 10:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve36

FOR ALL YOU 1936 CADILLAC OWNERS...I HAVE FOUND THE HOLY GRAIL...I FOUND A GUY IN NEW ZEALAND WHO CAN REPRODUCE THE HUBCAP...REMEMBER MCVEY ONLY DOES THE BEAUTY RING...THIS GUY CAN DO THE CAP WITH THE CADILLAC  INSCRIPTION....I BEGGED AND PLEADED AND HE WAS ABLE TO GET THE JOB DONE...I FOUND GENERIC BABY MOON CAPS THE SAME DIAMETER AND SHIPPED THEM TO HIM AND HE HAS A MACHINE THAT CAN ENGRAVE ON THE CURVED CAP...ONLY THING I HAVE TO DO IS HAVE A MACHINE SHOP DO THE INNER RING SO IT SNAPS INTO PLACE...SMALL PRICE TO PAY FOR AN IMPOSSIBLE FIND...LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED THE INFO

Steve Passmore

A few questions Steve, have you seen the finished items yourself yet?  What type of engineering will you have to do to the back of the caps? and is that going to affect their finish? and what price?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Grant Owen

I live in New Zealand & I make Cadillac parts I have been asked in the past from people here in New Zealand & overseas to make items like Hubcaps but always said no as the tooling & time would not make it cost effective.
However if anyone wants me to check these out , I wouldn't have a clue who would be making them let me know.
I hope they have a Rim & all parts to ensure these are going to be correct.

steve36

Guys

First I put this info out there to help my fellow 36 caddy owners...I have searched for a long time...I was frustrated and I have been using 1937 full caps since I got my car... So I'm just excited....I'm not selling these although I guess I could have him make them then put the inner ring on and sell them but I can't imagine there are that many 36's out there to make it profitable....the inner ring I believe is 61/4 or 61/2 I can't remember ..down here In miami I have a machine shop that makes the ring and then welds it on ..I know this because they had to do it on the 37 caps I have....I get the final product in about 5 days and he charged me 50 per cap plus shipping. I'm going to send him 3 more sets just so I have extras and in case he disappears ......he sent me pics and they look fantastic...he mentioned  about getting a die made I assume in the shape of the cadillac script and he was not sure it would work because he thought it would crack the cap but from the pics they look great..he didn't want any money until he saw they worked...I asked him if he wanted me to spread the word and he said ok

veesixteen

Great news ... though I guess the demand will be extremely limited.
Any photos of a repro finished one?
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"