News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Outside Windshield Visor

Started by broadcreek, May 30, 2013, 10:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadcreek

I'm trying to install an outside visor on a '53 Cadillac coupe. I have the correct Cadillac visor for my model. I would like any advice you' d be kind enough to offer, before I start drilling holes in the body. I'm very concerned about the bolts that go down through the roof to hold on the visor center brace. Since these bolts are self tapping, I'm assuming they thread into a brace below the roof? Would this brace have holes drilled in it for this purpose? If this is not the case, what should I do? (A new headliner has already been installed inside so I'm stuck working only from the outside.) 

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Hi Ed,

I've already gone down this road with my 53 coupe. Hopfully, you have the one offered as a genuine GM accessory. Please be very sure that it is for the Coupe. The one for the sedans use the identical brackets, but the visor itself will be too short. With that said, I can understand Art's concern about the self tapping screws, but there's really no problem using them. The screws are heavy duty with a course thread and there is plenty of meat in the roof metal of these cars to hold them tight. A generous gap is provided between the visor and the roof when the visor is installed to relieve the air pressure on it at highway speeds. I've driven my car several times at 65 to 70 mph on the highway with no problem. It will wiggle a little, but only slightly. These visors are well made and heavy duty all the way. I strongly advise you to dry fit everything before you commit to drilling the holes! Have plenty of help to hold things in place. Cover the hood with a blanket or pad to protect from scratches. Cover the windshield with a piece of cardboard. The center bracket should be located and installed first. Mount the visor on it and then locate the end brackets. Again, make sure everything is going to fit before the drill comes out. There's no going back. We used a generous amount of a thick black tar like sealer that came in a tube on the screw threads. No problem with water seeping in and staining the headliner. I'm posting a few photos of the center and end brackets for you. Yours should look identical.  Good luck with it. PS. I have more photos if you need them.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Doug Houston

Now, if you jokers think you're getting lousy fuel mileage, just wait until you get one of those things on the highway!!

You're putting a great big sail over the windshield that will trap air flow going over the body.

Why do you guess they stopped using those things after around 1950?
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

broadcreek

I'd like to thank everyone for their replies. I've assembled a group for June 6th to attempt this installation.

Ed deLuca