News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Is hypoid 85W90 appropriate for steering box

Started by 52Cadillac, May 30, 2013, 11:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

52Cadillac

Can I use it in my 52's steering box. It has a leak, and drops, plops is more like it, a heavy almost grease like oil.
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

52Cadillac

Anyone? Manual says use 90, but unable to find it locally, and I have the 85W90 on hand.
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org

Dave Shepherd

If the book means 90w gear oil, then what you have will do.

52Cadillac

SemperFiFund.org

R Sotardi #11719

Ok, here it comes, a whole bunch of guys are going to jump on this. Gear oil is what they say to use, 4673-M to be precise in my 1950( what ever that is). Now,  gear oil comes in different viscosities. The stuff in my car (90w)tends to seep out when driving. So I added 150. It helped but still seeped, albeit slower. The reason is the pitman seal lets oil squeeze past when the shaft turns. However I planned on installing a new seal, but I was advised that it will still seep a bit. This is a quirk with the Saginaw recirculating ball unit. So, I purchased some Penrite from Restoration Parts and when the level sinks some more, I plan on adding that stuff. Check out some past threads on Penrite.

harry s

I have heard the same about rebuilding or trying to stop leaking. I used Penrite Steering Lubricant on a leaky unit and it solved the problem. Many people try filling the gear box with grease and that is not a good solution as the grase tends to tunnel around the parts and after a while doesn't provide any lubrication. It is a little alarming to see that Penrite is 1200W, but it does work and is not harsh on yellow metal. Not sure if any of the 30's, 40's or 50's cars have any of those parts in the steering. I don't think it would be a good idea to use it with power steering.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Fred Pennington 25635

Don't use any oil marked EP or Extreme Pressure.
These oils are fine in differentials but not in transmissions or steering boxes.
An Addive in the oil corrodes yellow metals like brass and bronze.

Fred P.
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

Jay Friedman

I also use Penrite in my '49's steering box.  It slowed down but did not eliminate the leak I had with 85-90W.  Can't be bothered rebuilding the box since it steers perfectly with almost no play at the steering wheel.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

52Cadillac

Right a no no on EP.
I've not heard of Penrite, but will check it out further.
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org

52Cadillac

SemperFiFund.org

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I use a mixture of STP and chassis grease. Gear oil leaked out and chassis grease by itself bunched up in the corners.

The mixture stays put and works very well. I put STP in with a ketchup type squeeze bottle and grease straight from the gun.

These boxes leaked almost from the time they were new

52Cadillac

Good to know Alan thanks. Ketchup bottle, what a great idea.
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org