News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

preservation class judging application.

Started by rickm, May 30, 2013, 01:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickm

I am the second family owner of a 1970 CDV. I've had the car for 35yrs and know it is all original. The car has 12,000 miles on it. I've never filled out one of these application forms and am wondering how much to deduct for a non working clock and replacement battery and sparkplug wires?
Rick Martin CLC#27470

C.R. Patton II

Hello Rick

Your vehicle sounds like a nice fresh automobile!

If you are a CLC member here are some options:
(1) Look in the CLC directory under Judging to receive a quick study of the process
(2) You could obtain Judging Manual.
(3) Attend a CLC Judging Seminar in your region or at this year's Grand National in Boston.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Rick:

It sounds like you have a very nice and special car which I am hoping that you bring to the Grand National in Boston.

Due to the nature of your question, I suspect that you already know this, but, in the event you do not, the rules of judging in this class are different than for other classes.  The applicable judging rules can be found on page 67 of the 2013 International Membership Directory and at:  http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/images/calendar_files/clcjudgingmanual.pdf

To be more specific, I assume that you are inquiring about how to respond to question 4 of the form.

I will forward your question to several of the past presidents of the club who can hopefully be of more assistance.  Assuming that these are the only issues with the car my guess would in the range of one to three points - probably 1 or 2.

I will forward your inquiry to several individuals.

Bill Hedge, CLC #14424
Message Board Administrator
Cadillac & La Salle Club

Barry M Wheeler #2189

HI, I am one of the Past Presidents who will be judging your car should you enter it in the Boston GN. The three items you mentioned are minimal and ones that are routinely changed during regular maintenance. Simply mention them and deduct only a few points from your total.

Please note however, (and these points are addressed to the general readership of the forum more than you) that just because a car has been repainted in "the original color" does not qualify the car to be entered in this preservation class. Candidly, our interest in looking at a car further usually drops rapidly should we find the car has been repainted, as we have spent our time checking for tiny spots of overspray. (And we usually find them.)

To be fair, many times a person will purchase a car that the seller swears "is all original." And, we would rather judge your car even though we might find evidence of repainting that you honestly believed had never been done. We love these original cars and try to be fair to all of the entrants.

From what you say about your car, it may be a true survivor, which is the type of car we look for in this class.
We have given first place trophies to a 1953 Eldorado with a grill tarnished almost black. (Korean War Chrome) In 1986, we spent well over an hour judging between two cars for THIRD place. So, we consider our efforts an honor in finding truly all original cars. Some haven't been all that pretty, but at the time, they were the best "original" cars entered.

It is hard to project what car years you may be competing against. We have awarded trophies for as many as five groupings depending on the # of cars entered. We try to group similar cars, but as the cars get newer, the # of cars entered is usually larger, such as cars of the late seventies and eighties. Older cars have had to be taken care of longer, and so deserve more consideration. We have found that cars in later years have to be almost showroom new.

If you, or any other member has questions about the preservation class, please send me, or any other Past President of the Club a PM. From previous visits  to the East Coast, cars to "look out for" are a green 1941 convertible coupe, a two tone gray 1941 sedan, a maroon 1965 Fleetwood, and a dark gray 1966 Fleetwood. These are a few cars that have stuck out in my memory that are true survivors.

Please note on your car entry form that you wish to have your car entered in the Preservation Class. Thanks. BW.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Richard Sills - CLC #936

I am also a Past President who takes part in the judging for this category.  I would like to add to the observations made by my friend and fellow Past President Barry Wheeler. 

First, please bear in mind that, unlike the point judging process for the Primary, Touring and Senior Classes, the Preservation Award is based on the collective opinions of the judging team rather than a mathematical formula.  So if you write down 98% original for some category, and another owner with a similar car writes down 100%, that does not mean that your car will be evaluated less favorably.

Second, CLC permits your car to compete for the Preservation Award and also compete for point judging in the regular classes such as Touring and Primary.  Your car, based on your description, sounds like it should be entered in Primary Class, because cars in the Touring Class are disqualified if their point judging score exceeds a certain number, as stated in the judging rules.   The CLC rule that allows you to compete in both categories is different from some other car clubs, which require you to make a choice between the originality class and the regular point judging class.

Now, as to the specific questions:

1.  A non-working clock will cause a small deduction for purposes of the Primary Class point judging, but should not affect the judging for the Preservation Award. 

2.  Regarding the percentage of originality with regard to mechanical components, wiring, etc., this is not an exact science, but I would suggest estimating 98% original, based on the facts you have stated.  Please include a statement on the form that the only non-original components are the battery and the replaced spark plug wires.  That guidance will be helpful to the judges.

3.  My personal view is that a replacement battery should be of no consequence for purposes of the Preservation Award, because it is essentially impossible that a car of that age would still have its original battery in functional condition.  (For point judging, of course, the replacement battery should be a Delco that looks as similar as possible to the original battery.) 

4.  The replaced spark plug wires are a minuscule departure from complete originality, and may even be viewed as maintenance items.  The judging team may conclude that no deduction is necessary, but your candor will be appreciated in pointing out this replacement item.

In summary, this car -- assuming it is in excellent condition as one would expect, based on the history and the mileage -- should be a worthy candidate for the Preservation Award.  I am glad you are bringing the car to the meet, and look forward to seeing you there.

Richard Sills
CLC #936
Past President, 1998-2002