News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Do I have all the parts for my jack assembly?

Started by 52Cadillac, June 02, 2013, 05:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

52Cadillac

I believe I've assembled all the bumper jack and hold down parts. Can anyone confirm this?
Also does somebody know how they go together in the trunk? I know the jack nut will fit on the swivel fitting, and the spring may somehow fit thru the moon hub in wheel, and the jack assembly somehow fits on the bracket on wall. That's about it.
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Philippe M. Ruel

The swivel thing holds the wheel through one lug nut hole.

The spring holds the jack, I don't remember how.

The jack base slides/fits in a cardboard "pocket" by the side.

The moon hub you have looks to be painted black, mine is unpainted (galvanized ?).
1952 60 Special in France.

52Cadillac

Thanks Philippe.
Still hazy in my mind. The big hole in the moon hub is for what? Makes sense the swivel rod will go to a lug hole. Ok, didn't even occur to me the spring would hold the jack in place. I will stare at it some more. Hehe.
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org

52Cadillac

It appears from one pic I found online that I'm missing the bottom bracket to help hold long piece in place. If ya look closely you can barely see the spring and plate attachment holding down jack, and secured to trunk. I can also see the bottom jack support plate on side wall, attached somehow. And no sign of lug wrench placement. This was the only pic of inside a 52 trunk I could find.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org

52Cadillac

I found this showing lower setup without the bracket. It must mount in trunk somewhere.
The wedge must be the black wood chock. Still a bit hazy as to how some of it goes together.
How does the long riser piece secure to top Bracket(mine has a small bolt attached at top center of bracket)? ,
Were all the jack hold down springs red in color? Which red?
Hmmm, it seems some were set up differently (some with a bottom bracket for the long riser?).
What's the large hole in the moon hub for?
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org

Raymond919

Wouldn't the hole in the 'moon' hubcap just be there to help remove the cap from the spare tire? Put a finger in and pull the moon hub off the wheel when you want to remove the wheel from the trunk. Am I missing something here?

52Cadillac

No Ray, it's me. Of course that must be it. Hehe. Head can be a bit thick.
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org

R Sotardi #11719

The jacking instruction card is "glued" to the underside of the deck lid above the tire. By glued, I mean fastened, because glue will tend to release the card from the heat of sunlight. Advise, I fastened a clear plastic jacket sleeve  to the deck lid and slipped the card in the sleeve.

52Cadillac

SemperFiFund.org

Dave Ventresca

by fastened, do you mean stapled to the cardboard the way factory did.? or some other means? Dave

52Cadillac

Hi Dave, Tahnks for the jack. The jack base was stapled to the side cardboard wall? Wow, how were they reattached after use?
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org

52Cadillac

I have the spring and bracket mounted, not sure if bracket holes are up or downside.
Now how was the upper bracket with a single bolt attach to the jack bar? It appears the lower end is rested against the wooden chock, or I'm missing a lower bracket. Anyone know?
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org