News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

New Member, Ohio, Good Shops or Dealers for Vintage Cadillacs?

Started by Tripod, June 03, 2013, 10:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripod

Hi Folks,

New member here.  Just purchased a 1966 Eldorado Convertible.  I was wondering if anyone knew of mechanics, shops, dealerships that are familiar with older Cadillac's?

I live close to Marion, OH, but am willing to drive for quality service.

At this time, I hope I don't need anything major done, but would like to develop a relationship with a shop and maybe have them check my car out when it gets here.

Thanks!

Chris
1960 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
1966 Eldorado Convertible
1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

C.R. Patton II

Hello Chris

Welcome to the forum and the club!

I would suggest joining and becoming familiar with a region near your home. Those comrades can reveal their personal experiences with shops in the area. Your Central Region VP, Gary Fisher is a fantastic guy too!
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Tripod

52Cadillac

Hi Chris, Welcome that's a nice car. Be sure to post up pics for us to see. Join the club.
In my short duration as a Caddy owner I've found a lot of parts will have to be hunted down by you for the shop. Here's a list not endorsed by the club for legal reasons, but can be invaluable to you.
http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/index.php/topic,5742.msg70083.html#msg70083
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Louis Smith

Congratulations on your acquisition.  Although your car is approaching 50 years old. most parts are not really that hard to find, although because of the law of supply and demand, they can be somewhat costly.  Most mechanical parts, brakes, engines etc, will be readily available, and for the most part, won't be that expensive.  When looking for a shop for repairs, try to find a shop with, shall we say, more "experienced" mechanics.  Engines of that era are relatively basic, and lack most modern technology and emission devices, other then a PCV valve.  Find the shop that has a mechanic that knows what a dwell meter is.

Chris Conklin

Chris Conklin

Tripod

Any recommendations on where to get the shop manual and authenticity manual?

mistertudball

Welcome Chris.  I live in Columbus and would suggest contacting Petty's Automotive in Downtown Columbus.  http://pettysauto.com.  I originally took my 73 Eldo there upon recommendation from the local Caddy club director, and they looked the whole car over for safety and reliability, since most often I'm on tiny two-lane roads far from civilization when out in this car on a sunny day.  They would NOT fix anything without showing me first.  Since then (some years ago) I had them totally rebuild my Corvair's engine, and it runs like the proverbial top.  Give Dave or Don Zaiser a call and tell'em I suggested it.  Lawd knows I've been there often enuf!

If you'd like more detail on my experience (or other local providers) PM me. 
David Bartosic CLC19619

Chris Conklin

Quote from: Tripod on June 04, 2013, 05:29:48 PM
Any recommendations on where to get the shop manual and authenticity manual?
The authenticity manual is available from the CLC; go to the home page and look for Technical Resources under the Main Menu bar. You can find shop manuals on eBay at decent prices (usually reprints, but they work). Another good resource is to find an illustrated parts guide. You can go to the Modified Chapter and search their Cadillac Documents section for copies on-line when you have a specific need. But it's a good resource to own. Just be sure it's the "Illustrated" parts book, it contains lots of drawings and exploded views of components.

And welcome and congratulations on your Eldorado - fantastic car!
Chris Conklin

Tripod

David,

Sent you a PM.  Just wanted to let you know that I made an appointment with Petty's.