News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Touch-up paint

Started by mistertudball, June 05, 2013, 06:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistertudball

Does anyone have positive experiences to share with any of the online touch-up paint companies that provide smallish amounts of your original color?  I have a dime-sized chip (and some smaller stuff) I'd like to try to repair.  I know my car was repainted in its original Harvest Yellow color before I got it (in 1988) and figure there's been some fading but I'd like to come as close as possible.
David Bartosic CLC19619

Caddyjack

I recently bought some of that Dr. Color Chip stuff for my 1976 Eldorado. I ordered online, gave 'em my paint code (39) "Kingswood Green Metallic"...and the stuff, while a bit pricey, was SPOT on for color. Here's the link:
http://www.drcolorchip.com/
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

Davidinhartford

Those little touch up paint bottles can be off quite a bit from the actual color shade.    Especially on older cars .

I prefer to get an exact match by a paint shop.  They will bring out a scanner that they place against your cars body and take a digital scan of the color.   They then upload that info into a computer and it gives them a mix formula of the color the car is right now.     My shop only sells a spray can of it.  But it is cheap.  $21.95 for a custom mix can.     For touch ups, i spray some into the cap and then use a hobby brush to dab some on any chips i have.

52Cadillac

Pricey is right. I went to a local shop and my interior color match was $95 for half a pint. Whoaa Hossie. No way. They used the scanner and I've the paint codes. I like the route David took. Spray can of your custom colors. Ill be doing very soon. Heading to the link.
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

mistertudball

Quote from: Caddyjack on June 05, 2013, 09:32:03 PM
I recently bought some of that Dr. Color Chip stuff for my 1976 Eldorado. I ordered online, gave 'em my paint code (39) "Kingswood Green Metallic"...and the stuff, while a bit pricey, was SPOT on for color. Here's the link:
http://www.drcolorchip.com/
I was about to buy a bottle of this but read further somewhere that the product is great for road rash but generally not chips larger than a pencil eraser.  Mine is dime-sized so I held off buying it, not knowing if it really matters.
David Bartosic CLC19619

mistertudball

Well I decided to buy a small bottle with brush of Harvest Yellow (#81) from www.automotivetouchup.com along with the same sized bottle of clear coat.  Even though the PO of my Eldorado said it was repainted once in the original color, that would have been before I bought it in 1988.  The touch-up paint is exactly the same color and shipping fairly fast.  I'd use again, although the Corvair is a custom color and I don't have the formula.  Might have to find a shop with one of those scanners.
David Bartosic CLC19619

52Cadillac

David, I went to a shop with the scanner, and got the codes for my dash. They said it was a really good match. My body shop said it was terrible match, and said you can't rely on the scanners. I still have paint code from scanner for exterior but I haven't tried it yet.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)