News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Trying to identify camber bushings

Started by mgbeda, June 05, 2013, 07:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgbeda

Hello,

I am rebuilding the front suspension on my '76 SDV.  I bought a pair of NOS camber bushings on ebay that claimed to be for a 70-71 DeVille (which would mean they'd fit 70-76 per the parts manual) but they definitely didn't fit.  Since then I used an old pair and have moved on BUT I'd like to sell these and so I want to know what they do fit.

I've enclosed a few pictures of the box they came in (which may not be their original box) and of the bushings and was hoping someone would be able to tell me what year they are for.  They look so much like the right ones (for a '76) that I'm thinking they must be for a Cadillac, just not a 70-76 one.

If you look at the top bushing surface you'll note that the hole is more eccentric than that in the 76 bushing, which means that the stud comes out of the bottom at an angle.

Thanks,

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

dadscad

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but, I can tell you what they will do to the ball joint stud where a straight hole is required.

I discovered an incorrect set of camber adjusters like yours in my 63 when I rebuilt the front end in 2007. The upper stud had rubbed the ball joint body on the forward side causing a groove to be cut in the stud. It also caused the stud threaded area to bend when the nut was torqued. It is a wonder the stud didn't break under load. Who ever put them in didn't know what they were doing or didn't care what the long term issues were. I drove my car many 10's of thousands of miles with those incorrect adjusters in there, scary!

David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

mgbeda

There were no shims on my car or my parts car, and no mention of them in the service manual.

Shims are the way most other GM cars of the time did it, though, even the Electras and 98s.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Chris Conklin

You might be able to figure out what year the parts are using the illustrated catalogs on the Modified Chapter web-site. It'll take a bit of doin'.

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/Shop_Manuals_and_Illus_Catalogs/
Chris Conklin