News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Driveshaft leaking oil

Started by kedso, June 06, 2013, 08:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kedso

I have transmission fluid leaking out of the center of my driveshaft yoke.  Is there a seal in there that has gone bad or something else?  How can I seal it back up?  I lose a couple quarts on a big hill I am afraid to take the car anywhere.
Ed

Jay Friedman

What is the year and model of the car?  What transmission: manual or automatic?
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

kedso

The Tassie Devil(le)

I think you will find that there is a Welsh Plug in the end of the slip yoke, and if this is leaking, it is a matter of removing the actual universal joint cross, and either replacing the plug, or simply tapping it to tighten it up.

Also, it could be completely missing.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dadscad

I had one on my 63 leaking. The factory manual says to replace the yoke if it is leaking, no mention for repair. So far, I have yet to find a new one. I didn't think to try tapping it with a hammer like Bruce mentioned to see if it would stop leaking. What I did to fix mine, was to ask a Heating Air Conditioning friend if he would silver solder the plug seam to seal it up. That fixed it, no more leak.

HTH, David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

kedso

Thanks
Looks like I'm pulling out the drive shaft again.  I may try pouring epoxy down the center to seal it.  Depends on how good it looks after I clean it.

kedso

OK - - -
turns out there was a plunger gismo behind the cross joint in the end of the yoke.  It must have had a seal inside but that is long gone.  I pluged it with epoxy hope it holds.

RussK

This may work, we see that a lot on cars and trucks that come into the shop.
we remove the drive shaft and clean the front yoke ,inside and out.
We then put some Permatex Ultra Black silicone into the bottom of the yoke and work it into the bottom with a finger or small handle of a screwdriver or similar.
We work it into the hole until we see it come out at the u-jont side, or at lease try the best we can to do so,
it doesn't show or come out all the time 
just make sure you don't coat the groves on the sides so the yoke can slide easily.
after it sets we reinstall it and go
we do this about once or twice a week at our shop 
Hope this helps RussK
Russell kidd