News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 LaSalle paint color

Started by Rod Frazer, June 07, 2013, 01:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod Frazer

I'm continuing the slow process of restoring my 1939 LaSalle coupe, and it's time to consider getting rid of the bad paint job (bad color, bad workmanship) it now has.  Has anyone got a modern paint formula for my car's original paint "Dragoon Blue Iridescent"?

I would really like to learn as much as possible about about that color before I have it sprayed on my car.  I would very much appreciate color photos of a car with Dragoon Blue Iridescent.

Thanks in advance,

Rod Frazer
CLC #23156
Rod Frazer #23156

revgawright

Formula for 1939 Cadillac and LaSalle

IM-2066 Dragoon Blue Poly

20 - 1/16 oz. Black TLE-2
6 - 3/16 oz. Dark Chrome Green TLE-5
1 - 15/16 oz. Chinese Blue TLE-3
1 - 3/16 oz. White TLE-1
1 - 9/16 oz. Poly. Base Standard TLE-14
1 - 3/16 oz. Light Chrome Yellow TLE-10

G. A. Wright
Restitutio ad integrum!!!

revgawright

This might help!

G. A. Wright
Restitutio ad integrum!!!

buicksplus

Warning:  The modern metallic paints (poly) tend to have much bigger flakes than the original.  I painted my 40 LaSalle the two tone Beaumont/Pilot blue poly.  It looks good, but in some light the larger flakes are distracting and definitely not period.  If I did it again I would either choose a non-metallic color or get the folks mixing the paint to use a fine grain silver in the mix.

If you pick a metallic, suggest you go with basecoat/clear because the single stage metallics cannot be color sanded -- a necessary process to get a really good finish these days.

My paint vendor is pretty generous with small free samples of his mixes.  I use them to paint a few large swatches on scrap sheet metal parts to see how the as-sprayed colors look.

Good luck!
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

bariman

Terry Wenger

Rod:

As Dennis said, go to the Auto Color Library for the correct color. Dennis just did his '39 LaSalle in Trinidad Gray from them and it is beautiful. I did my '55 Cad with their paint also. It matched my paint chips perfectly.

The '39 Dragoon color shows on my color chips to be a greenish color. This seems to agree with the formula which has about 6 times more green than blue.

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S