News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac series 67 OR BUICK SERIES 90 ??

Started by gary griffin, June 07, 2013, 07:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

I am restoring a 1942  model 6719 and it presents a quandary to me. Is it  a Cadillac or a "Buick"

Buick had a 90 series sharing the same body with Buick power and the same outside but the trim and the hood was slightly different to accommodate the Buick grille  according to the photos I have found on the internet.

This came up when I was trying to donate some body parts from my rusty parts car before it went to the crusher and found that Buick shared a body with Cadillac and that my Cadillacs (including parts car)  have contradictory body tags.

The parts car had the following tag (A little bit was rusted through and I will leave spaces there but I think I have all of the pertinent information

Tag from parts car.

CAD  LLAC MOTOR CAR DIVISION       
GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION
DETROIT MICH.
STYLE NO 42-6719
BO  Y   182                                         This must mean body 182
TRI     NO 63                                       Trim 63 probably means tan broadcloth which is still present.           
PAINT  NO 3                                        I think this means Cavern green because the car is dark green
TOP    AC6 ??                                      I do not know that this may mean
    OY BY F   TWOOD                            This is obviously Body By Fleetwood

I will get a picture of my body tag and post it in my restoration blog later on  along with a picture of the rusted through tag later.

The quandary begins when I look at the tag on the front seat, it is a metal decorative type tag that says as follows

BODY BY FISHER
INTERIOR BY FLEETWOOD

I don't know when the blackout models started but my first car was shipped 4th of December 1941 and I think it must have been on a train to Reno when Pearl Harbor was attacked so it is an early car. I will get the body number and picture of the tag next time I go to the paint shop. Body 182 would be almost the last of the 200 1942  6719's  produced.

Just a little mystery to think about?
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jeff Hansen

Hi Gary,

I can't chime in yet on the Fisher v. Fleetwood mystery, but here's what I can tell you about the body tag...

Body No 182  -  Body number 182 out of 200 model 6719s made in the 1942 model.  Number 182 puts in the range of B series bodies which were the blackout models.  Bodies 1 to 157 were A series cars and 158 to 200 were B series, or blackout, models.

Trim No 63  -  Tan Bedford Cord cloth

Paint No 3  - Cavern Green body color with Triton Green wheels

Top Ac6  -  is actually "Top Acc"  Top is only used for convertibles.  Acc (as in "accessories") would have had a letter code for any accessories installed.  My 7533 also has nothing for either Top or Acc.

Tell me, is there a "B" after the style number, as in "42-6719B"?  Or is it just "42-6719"?

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan