News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Syncro-matic radio question

Started by R Sotardi #11719, June 08, 2013, 04:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Sotardi #11719

My signal seeking 1950 Syncro matic radio dial pointer is sticking a bit at the 1600kc as it returns to 550. It probably needs a bit of lube. What lube ( oil or ?)should I use to free up the mechanism a bit? Is it necessary to remove the radio or can I lube radio in the car by just removing the rear cover ?  Ron

Alan Harris CLC#1513

If I remember these right, the pointer goes all the way to the high end and the gets pulled back by a spring.

I would be willing to bet that lubrication is not your problem. The gears that move the pointer may be worn and loose or the spring may be weakened by age.

By all means, take the set out and operate it on the bench with the back off. Watch closely. The nature of the problem may become apparent.

R Sotardi #11719

Alan,I sprayed some dry lube on the gear and track without removing the radio. No effect. It sweeps across from low kc right to high kc. But as it returns it tends to stick a bit at the low end( left). I will have to remove the radio to do any further work. I could disconnect the antenna and it will sweep endlessly searching for a station. That might "exercise" it a bit, but I agree about the spring tension. Ron