News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New member introduction

Started by BrentA, June 09, 2013, 07:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrentA

Hello all,

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Brent; I'm from Bothell, Washington; I'm 28 years old.

I've just purchased a 1940 LaSalle. It's in pretty good shape but hasn't been driven for a few years; the gas tank is leaking, the breaks need work, and the headlights aren't coming on. The engine sounds great, it shifts fine, the interior is nicely restored, and overall it's a beautiful vehicle.

I got the bug for this era of car after my parents bought a teardrop trailer; it's a modern trailer built from what I believe is a '47 design. My wife and I ended up buying the same model trailer and we've gone to some trailer events where we've seen a lot of beautiful classic cars from that era. After I get the LaSalle working well, I'd love to pull the teardrop behind it. The aluminum teardrop just doesn't look quite as cool behind a modern SUV  ;D

This is my first classic/antique vehicle. I'm happy to find this forum with so much great information on these cars. I've never had a car that I've worked on myself, and my oldest car so far was a '91. I've got a lot to learn, but I'm really looking forward to doing it.

Once I get it home, I'm planning on taking out the tank to have it repaired. I think I can figure out the electrical issues myself. I'm nervous about working on the breaks though, so I'd like to bring it somewhere that can adjust/fix them properly.

If there is anyone local that can recommend good shops for tank repair and break work I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for the great info on this forum. I'm looking forward to going out on my first cruise in my "new" LaSalle.

- Brent Allen

harry s

Welcome Brent. That is a great looking car and will match up nice with the teardrop trailer. The brakes on that car a pretty straight forward and parts are readily available. I'm on the other side of the country so I can't recommend anyone, but I'm sure you shouldn't have  a problem finding someone sort them out.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

David King (kz78hy)

Hi Brent,

Buy a service manual for the car as your first purchase, you will use it all the time.  Brakes are straight forward repair and service, just follow the manual and you will be fine.

Good looking car, should be a lot of fun. 

Check out your local CLC region as there will be a lot of help there as well.

Enjoy and good luck.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Louis Smith

Very impressive looking first vehicle to get involved with the "car hobby".  As previously stated, the fixing the brakes won't be a problem at all.  Of course that is the first thing you want to take care of.  Unless you are 100% sure of yourself, repairing them, it is a job better left to the pros.  While you are searching out the different parts you will need, you should also search out a competent and fairly priced repair shop, and start a relationship with them for further help.

I would also highly recommend getting the quintessential book on LaSalles, authored by a long standing CLC member.  " LaSalle Cadillac's Companion Car"
by Ron Van Gelderen, Matt Larson.  As you progress with your ownership and attend car shows and other social functions, you are sure to be questioned about the LaSalle.  Keep in mind most of us weren't even around when LaSalles were being produced.  They have been out of circulation for 73 years!   Have fun and the best of luck.

http://www.cadillaclasallemuseum.org/LaSalle-book.pdf

C.R. Patton II

Hello Brent

Welcome to the Forum!

Congratulations you have purchased a beautiful LaSalle. I have just contacted a friend/CLC member that lives in your area. He will PM you to guide you on the right path.

If I can assist you please contact me.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Davidinhartford

Welcome to the group Brent!

Congrats on your first new old car!

Louis Smith

The more I look at your car, the more impressed I am.  Most times when a car of this vintage is acquired, it mostly resembles the truck in the background of the picture.   ;D  Would you care to share a little of the cars history ?  Basically who did you acquire it from ?  Was a collector, that just wanted to get rid of it.  How did you find it?  Did you just happen be riding by, and there it was!

redbird

my name is r. hoch and i live in clarkston washington 99403 i may be contacted at redbird99403@yahoo.com and then i can give you a phone #--i have a 1939 lasalle 5019 4-door sedan with suicide doors, it has dual sidemounts which was a rare option that late in production--i am in the roster and we can email phone #s chuck patton in michigan contacted me about you--i had asked him about some parts and he recommended someone in washington it worked out great--i may be able to suggest sources depending on what you are looking to do--thanks robbin

BrentA

Thanks everyone for the advice. I just ordered a copy of the service manual, which sounds like it will be invaluable.

I found the car in a Craigslist listing. The previous owner passed away and a friend of his widow is helping to sell it. The previous owner had restored several other cars from the '30s. I'll try to find out as much history as possible when I pick it up later this week. My understanding is that he had it for about 30 years, I'm not sure when it was restored in that period, but due to illness he hasn't been able to drive it for about the last five years.

Thanks Robbin. I'll shoot you an e-mail.

Louis Smith

Brent,
Thanks for the update.  Trust me when I tell you that have found a real diamond in the rough.  It's not often that a collector/enthusiast finds a classic such as you have found.

Lars Kneller 8246

Welcome to the club Brent. Great looking car!

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Hello Brent and welcome to the CLC Forum.

It's always reassuring to hear younger generations taking active participation in the old car hobby- especially vintage Cadillacs. You'll soon find the CLC is an invaluable source of information and restoration advice.

Please consider joining the CLC in order to reap the full benefits the CLC organization has to offer.

Congratulations on your acquisition and again, glad to have you aboard.

Eric 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

52Cadillac

Diamond in the rough is right. Beautiful car. Welcome. Join the membership ranks, and come to the Grand National in Boston this year. Info is on the home page.
I also acquired my car from an owner who passed. Good luck.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Louis Smith

Quote from: 52Cadillac on June 10, 2013, 01:55:11 PM
Diamond in the rough is right. Beautiful car. Welcome. Join the membership ranks, and come to the Grand National in Boston this year. Info is on the home page.
I also acquired my car from an owner who passed. Good luck.
Mike

You bring up an interesting scenario of those that have acquired cars from previous owners that have gone over the rainbow.  Hopefully, most if not all of us have made arrangements for our pride and joys to be passed on to capable hands, rather then let them just deteriorate and rust away.  If there is no one that an owner knows that would continue with the stewardship of their vehicle, they could at least, hold on to your hat with this statement, designate the car to be given to the CLC Museum.

On the other hand, the car can be modified to give a member a grand send off!  Who said you can't take it with you?  Imagine pulling up to the pearly gates with this beauty!