News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How would I put a thin coat of filler on inside trim piece?

Started by 52Cadillac, June 11, 2013, 07:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

52Cadillac

Made the mistake of stripping one piece completely, and its rough. I've No experience doing this, and scrapped off my first two try's. when applying with a putty knife it leaves it too thick, and lumpy. I need a paintable surface that won't show all the imperfections in the metal.
Any tips on applying a thin coat that I can then sand and paint?
Also the red piece has a slight bend, how should I straighten that out?
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Gene Beaird

What kind of 'putty knife' are you using?  They make plastic spreaders for working with body putty that should do the job nicely.  You may need to make some sort of holder for that piece while you work on applying and sanding it. 

It does take some practice, though.  Body work is as much an art as technique.  Maybe even taking it to a local body shop and let them apply the putty for you for a little money. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

52Cadillac

Ha Gene,
I must've been reading your mind. This morning I threw in the towel to let a real expert do this. Cadillac Widow and I took it to a local body shop to have at it, right down to the paint.
After all its a Cadillac, not a Corvair.
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org

Gene Beaird

Heh, yep.  I'm still waiting to get the air cleaner off our 68 back from the body shop after a couple of failed attempts to repaint and get a good finish.  Unfortunately, it's a small piece so it keeps getting shoved back in the line. 

Good luck with yours, but it's still probably a great idea to let the experts handle it.
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

52Cadillac

Yeah I don't like sending stuff out, and try to do it myself, but I do have have limitations for quality concerns. It must look good.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org