News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Power Steering

Started by millerkcsqueak, June 11, 2013, 02:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millerkcsqueak

I have just restored a 1956 4dr H/T. I have put new radial tires on it, but am experiencing the same problem as with the Bi's, that being the steering seems to over react during normal driving road corrections (pretty scary). I had the gear box overhauled but am not sure the control valve was overhauled.
Any suggestions on what the cause is? Corrective action?
Ken Miller

Dave Shepherd

Pretty non specific question, it may not be the steering box, front end alignment, worn suspension or steering components, loose wheel bearings, and adjustments too tight or loose in the gear box are all possibilities. I don't think from here we can really resolve this ,  someone with a good back round needs to check this out onsite. Can we assume this was this way before the gear box?

millerkcsqueak

Thanks for the feed back.
I have put new springs, shocks, had the front end completely rebuilt, aligned, new radial tires and the steering box rebuilt. It had old Bias tires and I was told that the radial tires would resolve the wandering.
Ken

2danreed

It is correct that the normal bias ply wandering, as well as cornering tire squeal, would all but disappear when changing over to radial tires. That's assuming all other components of the front end are in good order. I know I saw a noticeable improvement when I switched over my '56 sedan. Without sitting behind the wheel of your car its tough to diagnose, but it sure sounds like a component of the front end - idler arm checked? Any wobble or looseness in the front wheels while you have it up on jacks? Also with the car up off the ground - Are you able to swivel or feel any looseness in the pitman arm?
Dan Reed

J. Gomez

Ken,

If you have the service manual and follow some of the basic tests and adjustments in section 5-5 and 5-6 for the steering box, and section 5-7 adjustment for the steering linkage. You should be able to isolate the steering is up to spec.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082