News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1938-41 Series 60S questions

Started by Cooke, June 12, 2013, 02:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooke

I am again thinking of getting a 60S and I am sure there are many opinions but I would like to get some thoughts on these cars.

I like the 41 but the 38s are growing on me, any difference other than styling?

I prefer a car that needs some work but not a basket case, the most difficult part seems to be the wood structure under the car, if necessary is really that difficult to lift the body a half inch off the frame or does it need to go much higher if wood replacement is necessary?

When did Cadillac start using insert bearings??

Has anyone paid for a new interior and would they PM me (or post here) the price and details.

Thanks for any answers,
Martin

C.R. Patton II

Hello Martin

Glad to read you are interested in acquiring a prewar Cadillac. They are extremely well designed and engineered cars. The 60 Special was a favorite of Bill Mitchell. I would suggest that you do your research before you purchase. I concur any basket case would be an expensive restoration. To my knowledge an interior is in the 10k range. There are individuals who have experience with the wood replacement. The Cadillacs of the Forties is a magnificent textbook on the era.

I look forward to meeting and seeing your acquisition in Boston at the Grand National.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

pauldridge

By all means, it will almost always be cheaper to pay a bit more for a car that already has new upholstery and chrome, those are the big expense items.

That said, I've recently redone the complete interior in my '40 60 Special.  This included carpets, door panels, headliner, and seats.  My interior came from LeBaron-Bonney and I am extremely pleased with the quality of both materials and workmanship.  I opted for wool AND leather which upped the ante about $1,500 or so.  Even at that, I believe the total for the kit was well under $5,000, and then another $800-900 for a local shop to install.

A couple of pictures of the interior on my website:
http://austinclassiclimo.com/vehicle.htm
Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]

Doug Houston

I have a '38 and a '41.

You may never need to worry about the wood sills. They're often OK, either year.

The '41 engine is rated 150 HP, while the '38 is 135 HP. You'd never feel the difference.

Steering is better on thew '41, but not bad on the '38.

Hydra-Matic as available on the '41 but not on the '38.  Both models had column shift.

Sealed beam headlights on the '41, but not on the '38.

Sunroof or formal divider window available on '41 but not on '38. (My '41 has the divider window)

Whichever one you might end up with, they are both wonderful cars to drive.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Barry M Wheeler #2189

As a side note, I saw the tail end of the movie, "Johnny Eager" the other night. The star "bad guy" drove a 1938 60S. A 1940/41 Lincoln Continental convertible showed up as well.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

cadillac60

Martin,  I have a 38 60 special which I have owned since 1999. All the mechanics have been rebuilt new wiring tires, the upholstery is in good condition & the car is used for our club tours & runs at highway speeds. I am looking at selling the car. If you are interested e mail me at tralee@telus.net
I can send you current pictures etc.

Bruce W
Bruce Watson