News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

what is it?

Started by Doug 22747, June 13, 2013, 03:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug 22747

1947 Cadillac - in the picture of the engine bay...there is a canister on the firewall behind the distributor.  Anyone know what that is? (see attached).  Thanks Doug 22747
Doug Browne
Atlanta, GA

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Doug, this intrigued me enough to start up the lap top and look at the picture. I can't get pictures on this computer... In any case, what is it hooked up to? It may be an aftermarket tank to increase the vacuum from the engine. That's about where the fitting would be on the firewall. The firewall fitting looks something like a hook, I believe.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Doug 22747

that could be, and that got me thinking maybe it's some kind of oiler? But don't know how you'd refill it...doug
Doug Browne
Atlanta, GA

Jon S

There appears to be a "line" coming out of it - either oil or elecrtical.  If oil, then my guess is aftermarket oiler; if electrical does it go to the distributor?  Then maybe a super coil?
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jim Stamper

I can't see much about where the line goes or how it is filled, if it is. But post WWII there was a period when water injectors enjoyed some popularity. The time period is right. I don't know if they worked as well on cars as on fighter planes but there were sold. I think they worked off vacuum. Does anyone remember those things and how they worked.

I believe they were the sort of thing hawked at fairs and carnivals, print ads and such. I never heard of it as a dealer option. 
                            Jim Stamper,   CLC# 13470

wrench

I think that's a marvel mystery oil top end oiler. My car has one. It is disconnected and I just leave it there to take up space. Interestingly, it is the most popular topic of discussion (when I have my hood up at a cruise night).
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

C.R. Patton II

Hello Doug

I concur. It is a post WWII Oiler. A feature added by the owner.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.