News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1965 2 speed Automatic Trans

Started by Joe Bergeson, June 13, 2013, 06:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Bergeson

Long story short I have a Pontiac 2 speed trans from a 1965 GTO.  I always thought this was a Power Glide but was told Buick, Pontiac and Cadillac used a hydro trans that year other than a Power Glide.  Help please, which is it and any idea of value.  This was a very functional well operating trans when pulled in 2007.  Value?  Thanks much in advance for any information.
Joe B

dplotkin

What you have there is Buick's Super Turbine 300, a torque converter two speed that is not a powerglide at all. Cadillac never used anything of the sort. Cadillac used the early (to 55) HydraMatic and the late (from 56) Hydramatic only, with the Dynaflow used temporarilly in 53 after a plant fire.  Give John Poluso at Lee Miles Transmission (617) 327-2120 a call. John is the foremost rebuilder of vintage automatics east of the Mississippi with a penchant for and connection to the Pontiacs and GTO clubs.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Joe Bergeson

Dan,
Thanks so much for responding, the information and contact.  I will follow up with John.
Joe B
Joe B

Jeffrey Burland

Dan, I know Steve. Is John his brother, working at the same shop?
Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

dplotkin

Think so. I know John through the GTO clubs in New England. He is one of those unique guys who knows the old mixers well. Great resource-especially if you own an early flush & fill (56-57 Cadillac) which can be difficult to fix without the knowledge, tools and the necessary parts sourcing.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker