News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac Autronic eye setup

Started by carguyblack, June 15, 2013, 05:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

My 56 Coupe had the autronic eye system bypassed adn I have just attempted to tr-connect it all. The wiring had been hacked up so I needed to figure it all out again from the manual as well as a donor car. At any rate, when the system was bypassed, my hi-lo beams worked fine with the foot switch manually. Now that I have the autronic system back on board, my hi beams stay on constantly with no control of them in the manual foot switch. I have tried the first test in the service manual (disconnecting the blue wire from the amplifier harness) and the brights continue to remain on with no ability to change them with the pedal.
Are there ay experts out there with these things that could direct me next? The amplifier buzzes like it should and I am getting good voltage up to the dash sensor. But, the lights won't dim down automatically or with the pedal dimmer switch. I'm puzzled.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

J. Gomez

Chuck,

I wrote a small tech tip on the Autronic eye wiring setup, there is also a copy of the Serviceman wiring correction from the Service manual. I would need to send it to your PM as it is a large file.

If you fell and hear the buzzing from the amplifier box that is a good sign the vibrator is working. Next if you have close to 800V AC at the shielded wire going to the phototube then you should be on good shape the unit is working.

One quick test is to project a bright light at the phototube and see if it switches. If this does not works most likely the amp would need to be adjusted either the “Hold” or “Dim” are set incorrectly. You will need the Autronic eye tester to adjust these and also the phototube alignment. 

Good luck…!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082