News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 series 62 type of distributor? Window or standard??

Started by Alucini, June 17, 2013, 08:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alucini

I have a 1959 cadillac series 62 that I have inherited. It was my fathers and unfortunately he passed last August. He inspired me to work on cars since I was very young. Before he passed we had been talking about some work to do on it which I have done except for one thing. We were planning on converting it from points ignition to electronic. I have been looking into it and there are 2 types of kits for it. One is for a standard ignition the other is a window style ignition. I am wondering if anyone knows what type it has or how I can tell the difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ty

A Lucini

n2caddies

I have the Pertronics electronic ignition in my 59, 60, and 64 and am quite happy. Important to get the flame thrower coil from them and run a full 12 volt  to the coil from the ignition. They have newer models since I put mine in, be best to contact them for the application.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Alucini

Found out the difference. Window style has a small metal "window" on the distrubitor cap to adjust the dwell with the engine running. Now I know which kit I need to convert it. And it looks like an easy job. Hopefully this will help anyone else with same questions. Will post back once it's done to let all know how it went.

A Lucini
59 hd coupe
89 de elegance
94 deville

n2caddies

Not sure what you are looking at. The normal electronic changeout uses your stock distributor and cap  The window type is what you should have. If your trying to change out the whole distributor like to a HEI your making way more work , cost and I doubt if it will work as well as the stock distributor. The pertronics set up simply replaces the stock points and condensor inside the distributor and uses the stock rotor and cap.

Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX