News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Taillight Removal on `68 DeVille

Started by mrleibel, June 18, 2013, 10:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrleibel

Any tips on removing the right taillight assembly on a `68 DeVille?  I believe I have a ground issue in the light socket as my turn signal works intermittently and the brake light/running light bulb needs to be replaced.  I started to look into this over the weekend and it looks like no simple task to get to the bulbs and sockets.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
1968 Coupe DeVille Convertible

Gene Beaird

You can sometimes remove the bulb and clean and re-spring the contacts to get things to work properly without removing the socket assembly. 

The FSM has about a 10-step procedure to remove the socket assembly.  There's some work in the trunk you have to do first, then some work under the car, then you pull the lens and pop the assembly out of the bumper. 

I'll try to see if I can get an acceptable scan of that page. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

C.R. Patton II

Hello Matt

Glad to read you are improving your De Ville.

Gene provided you with good advice. I also wonder if a collision occurred on the right side of the vehicle that has affected the wiring connection? Please apprise us of the solution.

I look forward to meeting and seeing your car at the Grand National in Boston.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

cadillacmike68

Matt, you can get to the bulbs by removing the trim that goes over the lens. You can then check the circuits with a test light off the pins.  The sockets on 1968 and earlier are a royal pain to get apart, but they are usually not the problem. It's usually the wires where they make connections. The problem could exist as far forward as the large curved harness under your steering column off the turn signal switch, and it could be the switch itself. If you have Tilt & Telescope be prepared for an Expensive search for another switch. Don't ask me how i know this.  >:D

And:

Please remove the word Coupe from your signature. You have a DeVille Convertible, not a Coupe DeVille Convertible.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Gene Beaird

Here you go.  Section 12-9 starting with step 7.  It is complete.  The reassembly ends with step 9.  There are no illustrations.  I hope this helps. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

mrleibel

Much appreciated everyone for insights and info!  Shall be tackling the problem this weekend.

Matt
1968 Coupe DeVille Convertible