News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Mounting mech temp gauge?

Started by 52Cadillac, June 19, 2013, 06:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

52Cadillac

I'd like to mount the gauge so it's on a hinge that I could swing up and behind dash, hidden. Swing back down for driving. The top of bracket with U is where its mounted to under dash screw.
Any ideas on type of hinge device to use, and paint same as dash color?
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

curly

I don't think the bourdon tube on a mechanical gauge is going to last very long if it gets a lot of flexing like it would get from a hinge mount.  An electric sender is only a few dollars more and is preferable to the mechanical.(IMO)

I mounted an extra oil gauge in the ash tray of my 59.  I bored a hole in a piece of pressboard for the gauge and then trimmed the pressboard to be a very snug fit in the ashtray. I removed the ashtray insert and put the wood into the tray, wired the gauge. When I am driving, I open the ashtray, close it when showing.

I saw a clever idea at a car show a few years ago. I believe it was a 1952, but it might have been 50 or 51.  The owner mounted the dash speaker grill on a piano style hinge and used magnetic push/latch at the top. When he pushed the top of the grill, it would open like a tailgate. He had vintage air control, xm radio and gauges mounted back there.

T Lewis

52Cadillac

Hey Curley thanks for the tips. Ill check out the elec sender. If I can get it to fit in the ashtray that's a solution. Gotta find a small one. That gets me to thinking.
Great tip on the speaker grill to mount controls, etc. what did he do for a speaker?
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org

curly

Mike.
I saw the car 2 years ago, I don't remember what he did for a speaker. Since he had an XM radio mounted behind the speaker grill, I am going to guess he had hidden speakers somewhere else in the car.  The car looked stock, wasn't a modified or street rod.

T Lewis

52Cadillac

SemperFiFund.org

Richardonly

Mike,

T. Lewis is correct.  The constant bending of the tubing will distort and then fail from giving you the correct temp reading.

I kept the original hooked up and added (my flathead has an additional port for adding an additional temp gauge.) one like yours to the left of the steering column, near the hand brake.  Yours may have an additional port somewhere also.  So I run 2 gauges.

You may want to just use a srong type of clip for everyday use, and for shows, (CLC ONLY or regional) take clamp off an GENTLY tuck behind dash.  At the NERCLC, they made no mention of this gauge, nor the addition of an electric fuel pump.  For local shows, they have no idea of what they are looking at, nor do they care about minor (or in many cases, major) mods to an original car.

Do not use the hinge!  (My 2 cents worth.)

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Richardonly

1995 Jaguar XJ6

52Cadillac

Thanks Richard. A small clamp is good thought. Gauge isn't very heavy.

The original gauge reading is bad. I Had put in a new 6v sender. Installed reducer, etc. later it led me to chase a problem all over with a slow overheat problem that wasn't real.
So here I am with an awful looking aftermarket temp gauge that appears to work. Temp now averages 190, and as much as about 220 when heat index was 105 and idling for a while.

Which leads to another ? Curly mentioned. Do I need an oil pressure gauge, besides original?
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org

52Cadillac

Just saw pic. Is that a one of those slide to open loop that attaches around the the E. brake? Then just clamps to gauge?
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org

Gene Beaird

Look at Speedhut:

http://www.speedhut.com/gauges/Temperature-Gauges-2-1-16-inch/37:1|1:11/i=96&p=1&sortby=customer_price

They make customizable gauges.  I've seen gauges in fonts that match the ones in the car already.  They have electric temp gauges down to 2-1/16" diameter.  I'm running one of their tachs in our C Prepared autocross car and really like it. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

curly

I am only running the oil gauge because I do not trust the idiot light on the dash.  I had a problem a few months ago where my newly rebuilt engine snapped a pushrod and the lifter popped out of its bore.  That had to have had a major effect on oil psi, but my warning light never came on. I drove quite a ways like that,with no other symptom than a missfire.  I added the gauge for peace of mind.

T Lewis

52Cadillac

Gene, looks ok, high $$ product.

Curly, I see. i think I would've installed one as well. And may do so in the future. We drive the Cad out of town frequently.

I don't understand the diff between mech and electric. Electric is more reliable/accurate?
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org

The Tassie Devil(le)

The advantage of the Electric Gauges is that they can be mounted anywhere, with no having to worry about the capillary tube/s being compromised.

Especially if you are going to be constantly moving them.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Gene Beaird

It depends on exactly what you order.  The tach we got was just a little more than other manufacturer's tachs (Mallory, Accel, etc.), but the one SpeedHut sells was highly-customizable.  We got our choice of backlight (LED), adjustable rev limit alert, the font we wanted to use for the face, as well as the color of the face, and custom lettering on the tach face (we added "Look Ahead" a regular reminder for autocross drivers) all for just about the price of any of the other manufacturers who don't offer such options. 

Gauges these days, especially the electric ones, are pretty expensive, IMHO.  If I have to replace any more, I'll be looking at an all-in-one option like a Stac, because after buying all the parts, you're probably looking at a 20% premium over the separate gauges and sending units and wiring.  But that's just me.

Quote from: 52Cadillac on June 21, 2013, 06:58:38 AM
Gene, looks ok, high $$ product.

Curly, I see. i think I would've installed one as well. And may do so in the future. We drive the Cad out of town frequently.

I don't understand the diff between mech and electric. Electric is more reliable/accurate?
Thanks, Mike
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Richardonly

Mike,

The holder for the temp gauge came with it for about $20.00 total.  I bought it at Advanced Auto Parts, but they also have them at Walmart and pretty much any auto store.

My car being different, has a 2 piece section on the dash where you see it located.  I merely loosened a couple of screws, put the top piece into the space, and retightened the screws.  Not sure how your dash is.  You may have to drill a hole or two and if you could find a wingnut with enough clearance, use them, or again, maybe a small clip.  As you know they weigh almost nothing. 

Just be careful with the tube line, as if it bends, it is junk.

Also, a tube line for the oil preassure gauge can be troublesome.  It carries oil in it and if there is a leak in the car, it goes onto your carpet.  Thus, an electric is better for this.

Richard
1995 Jaguar XJ6

pauldridge

I hate aftermarket gauges under the dash as much as anyone, but after countless failed attempts to get my stock gauge to work with the converted 12V system (yes, even with voltage-reducing resistors.. and it never worked with 6V either), I finally admitted defeat and installed an under-dash unit.  After much research, I stumbled onto this brand:  EQUUS as being the only one I could find with a small 1-1/2" diameter.. it's electric, and backlit:

I custom-fabricated the smallest mounting bracket possible from aluminum plate and mounted it right next to my heater controls.  The pilot light on the bracket face is for the backup lights I installed with manual switch, so I don't get stopped again for shining a white spotlight out the rear of my car!

This gauge has been very accurate, and available through Amazon, for just $33.00, including the sending unit (of course, it's 12 volt)  Here's the Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Equus-8162-Electric-Water-Temperature/dp/B001QJBDJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371864955&sr=8-1&keywords=equus+8162
Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]

52Cadillac

Bruce, understood.

Gene, sound good. I wonder if I can get a gauge or wire one to flash the backlit when temp gets to certain point.

Richard, yeah mine came with an arm bracket. Yesterday I temp attached to a screw holding top control mech, near my left knee. It looks ok, just not what I'm looking for. I like the idea of hidden gauges, but what's the diff if you have to use them anyway(except for car shows). One loose screw and its stuffed under dash. Well maybe two when I'm sitting in her.

Paul, I went through the same with the 52. Converted to 12v, using reducers, etc. It seemed to work at first. Then a slow rise in temp. That sent me on a long expedition looking elsewhere. Oh boy.
I'm with ya, time to move on and make do. The white gauge looks good, but I'll look at the black and see what's available. This is the smallest one I've seen.

BUT I WAS thinking if I could find a 53 12v temp gauge and replace my 52 6v temp gauge that may be a solution. I know they share a lot of parts, but will it fit in my 52 instrument cluster?
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org

TJ Hopland

How about something like this?

http://www.digi-panel.com/

I have not used one myself but looks like a pretty good option.  Its available without the trans temp if you don't care about that.  I don't remember if it has a connector on the back but seems like if it does not have one that I read that they can make one so it could be easily removed for shows.  One of the nice features is it uses a metal temp sensor for coolant so you don't have to alter your original or make a new hole. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

52Cadillac

TJ, that would work, but looks pretty modern. Could put her in glovebox for easy hide, and set alarm for desired temp. About 6" long X 3.5"deep X 1.5 h. A bit on pricey side 215 shipped with the 3gauge setup, their minimum. I really only need one or two gauges.

A single vintage appearing gauge with an alarm would be ideal.
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org