News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Great idea from Walmart! Extra large Drip pan

Started by Bill Caddyshack, June 20, 2013, 07:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Caddyshack

Just saw this yesterday at Walmart. It is a steel pan about 48" by 25" by 1/2" high. Slide it under your car to catch oil, trans fluid, power steering, whatever is leaking. Cost is $11.97. I bought five, one for each vehicle.  They had a stack of them about a foot high.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ATP-Extra-Large-Oil-Drip-Pan/16778234

TJ Hopland

Another thing that can work well is they make trays for washing machines and round ones for hot water heaters. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dadscad

I bought one of those from Wal-Mart about 22 years ago for my 63. It has worked great and still doing it's job, even though the car does not leak like it used to. I highly recommend one! I glued 6 rubber feet, (worn out shock bushings) 3 down each side to hold it up off the floor about a half inch so it wouldn't get scratched up on bottom and start rusting from moisture getting under it, etc.

David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

59-in-pieces

David,
Very clever, with the feet.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Gene Beaird

Just don't forget to pull them out from under the car before you move it!!! 

Don't ask me how I know.   :-[
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Louis Smith

Sort of limited in coverage.  I use a tarp and duct tape it to the floor. 

66 Eldo

Louis Smith

Couple of choices to cover one's garage floor.

59-in-pieces

Louis,
Looks like you need a little Dutch boy with those kind of leaks - Holland, finger in the dike kinda stuff - are Dutch boys from Holland - I don't know.
ONLY KIDDING     LOL
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Davidinhartford

I use the large metal drip tray.   I use kitty litter in it to absorb the drips.

Why move it before using the car?   I leave it there.   

Glen

Quote from: David Smith on June 20, 2013, 09:18:31 PM
I use the large metal drip tray.   I use kitty litter in it to absorb the drips.

Yeah, with my garage I can not get too far to one side or the other to run over the pan.  I thought of putting lasers on the car to help align it before entering the garage.   ;D
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Bill Caddyshack

Good idea on the kitty litter. Will add this to my trays.

Gene Beaird

In our shop, the doors are on the narrow sides, so you have to turn 90-deg almost immediately after rolling out of the parking place.  The pans we use are almost all mashed flat now, so it's not that big a deal if we forget. 

The Calais is in bad need of a re-seal job on the transmission, so we have one of the Griot's under car mats under it.  It does a nice job, too. 

My wife works in a CV OR (Perfusionist), and a lot of the surgical equipment comes in attached to shallow plastic pans that are about 24"X36".  They're thrown out after each case.  We have a LOT of those distributed around the shop.   :D  It's amazing the cool equipment they throw out every day. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Louis Smith

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on June 20, 2013, 07:42:46 PM
Louis,
Looks like you need a little Dutch boy with those kind of leaks - Holland, finger in the dike kinda stuff - are Dutch boys from Holland - I don't know.
ONLY KIDDING     LOL
Have fun,
Steve B.

Not really my garage.  The picture was for illustration purposes only.

Louis Smith

Yes kitty litter is recommended for Catty Lacks.

Coupe

That looks like the tray you can buy for a floor under a dog crate. I have poly ones for all my old cars. I put a little floor dry in them to absorb the drips making easy clean up
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Bill Caddyshack

bcroe

My drip pans are a standard 3' by 8' piece of galvanized steal duct sheet metal, with the edges bent up. 
Bruce Roe

Glen

Bruce, I suppose you have a sheet metal brake to fold the edges.  I try to do that with a hammer and dolly and I end up with a curved pan.   

I made the mistake of calling the kitty litter under the Eldo “Caddy Litter”.  The wife won’t stop calling it that even though I switched to oil absorbent pads.  They are much easier to clean up. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104