News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Eldo Trasmission problem SOLVED

Started by 60eldo, June 20, 2013, 02:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

I just bought this car and it was sitting for about 12 yrs.  Runs fine starts, but I can t get the leaver to move its stuck in park seems to be siezed. What can I do? Spray all the linkages maybe? Or are these trannys problematic, and I will have to tow it in to a shop?  Thanks
Jon. Klu

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Johnny,
Severe internal problems (possibilit6y) aside, I would suggest having someone "rock" the car forward and backwards while you try and move the shift lever.
When the car is put in park and either rolls or is pushed (in either direction) there is a lot of strain put on the transmission and it tends to hold itself in park.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Dave Shepherd

I would disconnect the linkage from the trans and see if the shifter is stuck or the trans shift arm coming out of the valve body..

dplotkin

Proabable corroded/seized pawl. The rocking thing is the thing to do.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

60eldo

Thanks guys I really apprieciate your inputs. Im gonna try theses things tomorrow, If anyone else has  any more ideas let me know
Jon. Klu

TJ Hopland

I have never seen one stuck internally but I suppose its possible.  Linkage on those do end up with wear issues and I have seen some pretty poor attempts to repair them.   

The linkage issue is the bushings in the 'crank' that makes the direction of the shift rods change from the vertical shaft from the steering column to the horizontal shaft to the transmission.  That crank is sort of under the brake booster/master cylinder area.  IIRC there is a bolt you can undo from above to disconnect the rods so you can see if its something stuck in the column or transmission.   Make sure you chock the wheels so you don't run yourself or someone or something over.  That linkage is not much different than a RWD one other than the rod to the trans goes forward instead of rearward but for some reason I have never seen them worn as much as I have seen on the Eldo. 

The wear in the bushings usually does not cause them to stick it usually causes issues with the alignment with the indicator and park / neutral switch so your reverse lights may be on at the wrong times and it may not always start.  Sometimes you also will fall out of part unless you adjust it to align worse then you cant get it into 1st.  I have repaired those with bushings out of a universal door hinge kit.   It takes a little work but can be done without any real special tools.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

60eldo

Should the car be started and running or can the engine be off with the key turned to the on position
Jon. Klu

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Johnny,
If it were me and I had a few willing friends, I would start the car, and have the friends rock the car foreward and back while I was trying continuously to get the car out of park.  Be careful because once it comes out of park it will be in reverse.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

I dont think having the car running should make any difference.  May be better with it off because at least all you have to worry about is gravity moving the car. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

60eldo

Ok, I soaked all the linkage let it it overnight. Next day went back with 3 other guys ( didnt know I had 3 friends ) we rocked it alot, I went in side and she went into drive,,,,thanks guys
Jon. Klu