News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tires for 76 Cadillac

Started by Ralph Williams, CLC # 18472, June 22, 2013, 05:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Williams, CLC # 18472

Greetings all--

I need to replace the tires on my '76 Coupe DeVille.  I've been able to find American Classic 235/75R15 tires with the correct whitewall.  Does anyone have experience with these tires?  Specifically, are they reliable and do they ride well?

Are there any other alternatives with the correct whitewall?

All the best,

Ralph
Ralph Williams, CLC # 18472, Life Member
1953 Coupe DeVille
1955 Fleetwood 60 Special
1959 Sedan DeVille
2014 CTS-V Coupe

TJ Hopland

The 'correct' white wall is going to have to come from one of the classic vendors and for that you will have to pay.  I have heard mixed things about the quality of the tires those vendors use especially from people that actually put some miles on the cars. 

If you would rather not spend that much money and can live with a white wall I would try a smaller more rural tire shop or parts store.  Most of them have a store brand tire and they usually still have a white wall, sometimes in stock even.  Many of those tires tend to be made by Kelly or Cooper which still seem to be decent tires.  Thats what I have been using the last several years since having bad experiences with the big brands and I have been very happy not to mention saved a few bucks.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

Diamondback worked very well for my 1970 Cadillac.  They have an nice website, use Google.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

76eldo

I have a set on a 1980 Eldorado that I am selling.  They look great, and ride great.

Personally, the correct set of whitewalls and a mint looking set of caps makes the car look as good as it can be.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

You have an 80 Eldo with 235's?  That has to be an interesting look and fit.   I was thinking the 215 was the optional touring size and 205's were standard.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillactim

Hankook makes a 235/75/15 with whitewall.  I just put a set on my 95 Fleetwood, and they have a 70,000 mile tread. I paid $100 each.

Tim
Tim Groves

76eldo

The tires on this particular 80 Eldorado are 215-75-15.  I was referring to the look and the ride.

They are smooth running, not noisy, and have a nice look.

Here is the car:

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillacmike68

Quote from: cadillactim on June 22, 2013, 10:15:48 PM
Hankook makes a 235/75/15 with whitewall.  I just put a set on my 95 Fleetwood, and they have a 70,000 mile tread. I paid $100 each.

Tim

Tim,

1993-96 Fleetwoods took 235-70-15 tires. not 75s.  Harder to find too, but I found some Hankooks and they look good and ride well. Korean - that's ok, I thought they might have been chicom. I use the same size on my DVC, to keep my emergency tire swap options open. i wish Goodyear, Goodrich or even Michelin would make the size in WW, but noooooooo.  >:(
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Couldn't agree more with Brian. Nothing does more for a Cadillac than the proper set of wide whitewalls.

I got a set of American Classic tires for the 1980 from Coker. The whitewalls stay white and look and ride great. Cost was around $665 for the set.

I doubt a quality set of narrow WW can be had for much less than $400; an extra deuce-and-change for the right looking tires is a no-brainer, as far as I'm concerned.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

cadillactim

Yes, I know the 93-96 Fleetwoods came with 235/70/15, but a good tire that size was not available in my area in a whitewall.  There were Hankook 235/70/15 on the car when I got it, but they finally needed replaced.  In the coming years it's going to be easier to find the 235/75/15 whitewall  than a 235/70/15, that's why I went with the larger tire. 

Car rides nice with the larger tires, and they do not rub.

Tim
Tim Groves

Lars Kneller 8246

I just put a set of Diamondbacks on my Eldorado and have been pleased. They're made by Toyo.

R Schroeder

Very nice looking car Ralph.
I have to say that Eric's cars are a picture of perfection , but I don't mind the narrow white wall tires.
I bought some Hankook 225-75r-15's for my 78.
80,000 mile warranty. No complaints.

Ralph Williams, CLC # 18472

Thanks to everyone for your help!

I went ahead and bought a set of 4 Hankook 235-75-15s at my local Discount Tire yesterday.  They could have special ordered the American Classic tires for me, but the price would have been double what I paid (I paid $476 installed including replacement warranty). 

I was impressed with the ride on the way home.  I'll take her out on a longer cruise this weekend for the true test.

The previous tires were Firestones that appeared very old and rode hard.  They still had plenty of tread, but I've only owned this car for two years, so I don't know the history.  Better safe than sorry, particularly since I drive my cars quite a bit.

I found this car through an internet search at a dealership in Louisville Kentucky.  Believe it or not, it was a trade-in.  According to the dealer it was inherited by the daughter of a man who pampered the car, but didn't drive it very much.  When I bought her, she had 18,500 miles showing, allegedly original.  From the condition of the car, I tend to believe these were original miles.  She now has almost 20,000 miles.

I've had to do what I would call minor mechanical "freshening" since I bought the car.  Work performed includes:

- Replacement of the brake master cylinder and power booster, wheel cylinder, and hoses.

- New shocks.

- Replacement of a leaky A/C compressor.

- Calibration of the climate control.  By the way, the climate control troubleshooting guide Tim Groves ("CadillacTim") publishes turned out to be an invaluable resource in figuring out what was wrong with the climate control.  Plus, I found the proper Kent Moore calibrator on eBay.  With these resources, I was able to adjust my climate control like a pro.  The A/C is ice cold now--very important this time of year in south Texas.

That's about it as far as work is concerned.

I learned to drive on a '73 Cadillac.  My parents also had a '76.  I can attest from personal experience my car now drives just as she did "back in the day."  Brings back lots of great memories.

Thanks again to all for your help!

Livin' the dream...

Ralph

Ralph Williams, CLC # 18472, Life Member
1953 Coupe DeVille
1955 Fleetwood 60 Special
1959 Sedan DeVille
2014 CTS-V Coupe