News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rough Idle Solution

Started by Dave J, June 24, 2013, 09:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave J

Having exhausted all of the simple fixes for a rough idle from a cracked manifold to bad fuel, without success, I have finally accepted the solution that has been staring me in the face all along.  My vacuum gauge tells the tale.  There are about 8 different scenerios  in reading one of these.  Below are cut-outs from 2 different vacuum gauge websites showing symptoms and cause.  My gauge points to worn valve guides every time.

1) Worn valve guides can be detected by a vacuum reading that vibrates back and forth between 14 and 19 or so very quickly.
2) Excessive Vibration that Steadies as RPM Increases   Worn valve guides.

The decision now, is whether to fix it or drive the car as is?  The car runs great otherwise so if I decide to pull the heads it definitely won't be until the cruise season is over.

If anyone else has been chasing this same problem, try a vacuum gauge, it can tell you a lot.

Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson
56 CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

I agree...... The Vacuum Gauge is a good Diagnostic tool, and an engine tuning tool as well.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

russ austin

Have you checked for bent pushrods?
R.Austin

Tito Sobrinho

Dave. since you have a low engine mileage and to me, a worn valve guide is low in my list. I would check for a leaky engine valve due to carbon accumulation, sticking valve, broken valve spring, and tappet clearance.
I received an advice from an old mechanic fellow when working at a car shop during my college years.
Get Mystery Oil mixed 1/2 with warm  water in a spray bottle and apply this mixture spraying down the carburetor throat at a fast idle. At this point, you don't have nothing to lose i.e  before you open the engine. For the hydraulic tappet, I'm sure you are using a detergent oil. For a broken spring and a defective hydraulic tappet including its clearance, of course, you will have to open the engine.
Hope this helps.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Scot Minesinger

Cadillac year and engine?  Vacuum leaks are a very common cause of rough idle in the 1960's and 1970's Cadillacs
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

wrench

The way I handle this question is as follows:

1) open a bottle of beer
2) take a sip
3) place the bottle on top of the air cleaner at idle
4) no foam = smooth running engine
5) some foam = try a tune up
6) lots of foam or the bottle falls off = tear down
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Dave J

Thanks you guys for the input.

My car is a 1956 Coupe de Ville.  Because the car runs very smooth when choked during warm up and because the vacuum gauge is vibrating, I'm thinking the rich mix at warm up is compensating for a vacuum leak.

I can check out your suggestions by removing the valve covers before pulling the heads.

I agree that worn valve guides seems unlikely with such low mileage, unless it had poor maintenance.  But my compression test came in at 180 lbs on all cylinders and so did the one at the repair shop.  I think that would eliminate a leaky valve or tappet clearance.

Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson
56 CDV

dplotkin

Compression numbers like that wouldn't immediately bring to mind internal problems. I think you have a vacuum leak or as in my case with my 56; a plugged idle circuit in the WCFB. Your guage will show low or irratic vacuum I'd think every time a cylinder misfires because of the lean mixture. You might see if it straightens out by choking the carb with your hand. That will tell you if its a "lean roll" or something else.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Roger Zimmermann

Dave, the engines from my 2 '56 Cads have been rebuild and are running well. At idle, I have also that vibrating needle. I don't care anymore...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Richardonly

Stupidest thing happened a while back with my flathead.

Car started to idle and run fast (rpm's) for no reason.  Lifted air cleaner a "bit" higher on carb, and it stopped.  Drove it, it settled to the lower position again and it went back to an accelerated rpm. Lifted it a bit again, but this time placed a clamp around it to hold it in place and the problem was solved.

Inspecting it, it was NOT touching any linkage to cause this problem.

Once again, this is a flathead with a totaly different air cleaner system.
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Tito Sobrinho

Richard, seems to me that your carburetor has a problem with the air-gas mixture. Or,  do you have a bath oil air cleaner? If so, the mesh could be dirt and has to be cleaned with gasoline
Tito S.

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Tito Sobrinho

Art Archbolo, did you do the same in your '49? I always wanted to change the oil bath air filter for a paper element.
Tito S.

Dave J

Roger,
I had the 365 engine rebuilt on my 58 and still had a rough idle and vibrating vacuum gauge. After exhausting all options, I swapped the original Carter for a new Edelbrock carb.  It didn't solve the problem but it had better idle adjustments to compensate for the problem. Eventually I gave up and drove it with the Edelbrock for 10 years.

The guy who rebuilt my engine was a young man, so I always questioned if he did the job right.  I still believe that the gauge needle should be steady.
Dave Johnson
56 CDV

Viator Trudeau

I have a question on the use of s vacuum gauge?, on my '74 ELDO.
Where do you hook up the vacuum gauge??
AT one of the active ports on the carb, or at the fitting at rear of intake where hoses go into the fire wall.  The carb location givea a general idea of overall vacuum thru out the manifold.  no needle flutter.
On my car the fitting at the rear of the manifold shows a fluttering of the needle where cyl. #3 & 4
are weak at idle. With a little increase in idle speed fluttering dissappears. Opening the idle screws  enriching mixture for all cylinders im proves idle??? in general.
V.Trudeau  P. S.  The numbers on my carb indicate the carb is for California usage.
Would this be the cause of my idle problem?

R Schroeder

Viator
I have my vacuum gage hooked up all the time. I have a tee in my vacuum line to the vacuum advance. My vacuum line comes right out of the manifold.
I believe yours , being a California car would hook up on the carb, above the throttle plates.
This is not a good set up, as it keeps the engine retarded at idle.
See if you have a port in the manifold up front near the distributor that you could plug into. Then block off the one on your carb.
To set up carb, you adjust the air mixture screws until you get the highest vacuum reading. you may have to idle it down to do this.
If the vacuum advance is plugged into the carb, above throttle plates, it wont work there.
If you want, use a tee at the back of the carb for the testing.
As you can see, mine pulls 21.5 inches of vacuum at an idle. This is the best you can get with a stock set up. Also a steady needle is preferred.
Roy