News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 Eldorado differential color

Started by Tony Love, June 25, 2013, 10:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Love

Hello again
The differential color on car number 8 that I am restoring is dark green, its absolutely original and definitely dark green.
I would have assumed it would be black.
Has anyone encountered this before?
Where they green in 52?
There were two differentails available for 53?, was a color used to distinguish the variations?
I have attached a picture of the completed diff.
There are several other unexplained variations on this car 8 as well that do not appear on any other cars that I am aware off, is this consistant with early number cars?

Thanks again for any help
Tony

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Hi Tony,

I can't explain the dark green carrier on your differential. I doubt very much that it came from the factory that way. There may have been a problem with it and was replaced at some point. These rear ends were not serviceable. The procedure was to replace with a new factory unit. I can tell you that there is no evidence of any green paint on the differential of my 53 coupe. There were other differentials used in 53, but the series 60 and 62's all had the same 3.07 ratio. The others were the 75 series with a 3.77 ratio and 86 commercial chassis with a 4.27 ratio. The Eldorado's were series 62. There should be a flat area on the underside of the carrier with a "3" stamped on it indicating a 3.07 ratio.

Paul
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Quentin Hall

When Tony told me about his green diff centre I told him that I wasn't sure and to put it on the forum "because Paul Allen will have a good answer". So I was definitely right there. I have noticed a few items on my cars that were painted the dark green and drab brown to differentiate LH and RH items such as fog light housings and exhaust outlets that were similar looking and color coded to make identification easier during (I assume ) production assembly.
       I gave that answer to Tony and wasn't able to say that to be true or not.
       The other real possibility was that Tony's car FW #8 ( The first ever red Eldo) is what they now refer to as a "Factory Lemon". Hanging around the factory for 6 months  for the Jnr High work experience kids to play with , assemble/disassemble it Weld bits on / cut them off. After that it was the factory smoko hangout and then unofficial  Coors and Budweiser can depository (an early GM recycling initiative) . Till factory brass said get rid of that pile of %$#&^. Then it was hurriedly slapped together and painted "Resale red" and shunted out the door.
        Haha. Only kidding Tony.  ( Why is your face suddenly Aztec red?)   
        Q
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Tony Love

Thanks for the update.
I think it is a 3.62? diff. Does this make it any clearer?

This car has at least 4 other items that are not standard for 53 Eldorado as well, perhaps this is just one more

Thanks
Tony

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Tony,

I think there lies the solution. There was no 3.62 differential in 53. The only ones offered were the ones mentioned in my previous post. The one exception is the cars that have the Dynaflow or Twin Turbine transmission (like mine), a 3.36 diff was used and has a "6" stamped on the flat boss on the underside of the carrier. Looking through the Master Parts Book, I find no mention of a 3.62 ratio at least from 1941 through 1959. Is there a number stamped on the underside of your diff? What are these four other non standard items you mention?

Paul. 
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Dave Ventresca

Just to add to the confusion .. My 53 data book has the Dynaflow addendum pages. it states that Dynaflow equipped cars from the factory came with the 3.36:1 pumpkin in the series 60 and 62, and the series 75 came with a 4.27:1 pumpkin.All Hydramatic cars came with the 3.07:1 ratio in the series 60 and 62, including the Eldorado, and the series 75 came with a 3.77:1.