News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac fuel sending unit problem

Started by Coupe Deville, June 25, 2013, 10:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello i have a 1959 cadilllac series 62 convertible. I am currently having a fuel sending unit or gauge issue. When i ground the gauge wire or when the sending unit float is bottomed out the gauge only goes as low as a quarter tank. Is this a sending unit problem or a fuel gauge issue? When i tested the gauge about a week ago the gauge did go to empty but now it doesn't. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

-Gavin Myers
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

n2caddies

Not sure if you may have a after market sending unit. These are often mismatched to the ohm range of your fuel gauge. I would think and I would defer to others on this forum that it would more likely be a sending unit issue than a fuel gauge. I have both a 59 and 60 series 62 conv and never had a problem with the Gauge  just the sending unit getting all rusted up or the internal wire breaking away from the contact points in the tank Have you removed the sending unit to check it out?
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Coupe Deville

It's a brand new sending unit. I was thinking it would no be a sending
Unit issue because when I bypassed the sending unit and grounded it
It read empty as it should. But ethier when I bypass it or hook up the sending
Unit it never reads completely empty. When the sending unit float is at the bottom
It reads one ohm. Should it read lower? Thanks 

-Gavin Myers
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

eldo59

If grounding the guage doesn't make it go to empty than it looks like a guage problem.
Mauro Bonfitto

Coupe Deville

Figured it out. It was the ground wire from the sending unit to the frame and it was connected poorly. Clean it up and re attached it and the gauge read accurate and true. Thanks for everyones help

n2caddies

Good job!!  To make sure I had a good ground I have in the past soldered a wire to one of those clip on speed nuts and clipped it onto a wire brushed edge on the gas tank  and grounded to the frame with a sheet metal screw with a star washer.. Not original but it worked. Sometimes the undercoating, , rubber cushions on the mounting straps and oxidation messes up the grounds. I have found that most of my electrical problems on these Cadillacs are from poor grounds. 
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX