News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Interchangability of 1952 vs. 1953/54 heads

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, June 28, 2013, 09:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

The MPB shows the 52 head as 1 year only & the 53/54 being the same. Does anyone have FIRST hand knowledge of the difference? Can they be interchanged? Anyone have the casting #s, NOT the part #'s?
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Quentin Hall

G'day Bob, I thought 53 and 54 heads differed in the outlet for the heater hoses at the rear of the head. I actually have a nice pair of 54 heads (no rear outlet hole)that I am wanting to modify but it means drilling a hole and tapping a couple of threads. I thought the valves were slightly enlarged for 53 as per the information in either the owners manual or other period advertising. But I am sure you could enlarge the valves in a pair of 52 heads. I am going to have a 52 conv here at my place later next week. I'll check to see any external differences that may help.
        Your old Eldo got a new top a couple of weeks ago. Warren and I skinned our knuckles for a few  days. Looks great. Q   
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

G'day Q,
Thanks for the fast answer. I rechecked the MPB. You're right, the 52 valves are smaller. However, it does show the 53/54 heads will interchange. I have a LH head with casting #1459736. It does have a water outlet in the back. I'd like to ID it for possible sale.
I knew Warren was going to top the car but I haven't talked to him in a few weeks. How did you skin your knuckles?  Did you guys double check the shape of the back window??
Regards, Bob

Caddy Wizard

If anyone needs them, I have a pair of fully rebuilt 54 heads (new valves, guides, machined, etc), painted up and ready to install.  $800 for the pair, plus shipping.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Caddy Wizard

Here are pictures from at least one of the heads.  Not sure if both heads have this same number.  I thought heads like this are left and right.  Anyway, these came off a low-mileage 54 FW I had, the engine had seized from setting up.  I had the heads done at a great engine machine shop that I have used in the past, but gave up on the engine because of stuck rings/scored cylinder walls.  The heads have not been reinstalled. I did a very careful paint job on the heads and they are ready to install...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Warren Rauch #4286

Trying to ID parts by casting numbers is somewhere between tricky and impossible. I could only find 1952 casting numbers. Hollander says factory castings were 1458612 & 3. Cadillac says in 1957 they had run out of castings , so now were using 1464624 & 25. These had a different shaped combustion  chamber, but must have worked. Hollander says 1953 and 1954 interchange , but the temp sending units are different sizes.The Cadillac Serviceman says the 1954 exhaust ports were redesigned. Hollander also says the oil holes are larger on the 53-54 ,than 1952. I wish they said if these are the drain backs or the pressure line holes. Valves are the same size heads 52-56. Your casting number is between the two sets so it could be any where 53-57.
   Heads are often superseded ,Cadillac used different heads in 49,50-51,52,53,54,55,early 56, late56 ,etc  so finding a factory correct one is a lot harder than one that will work. Warren

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Warren,
I really appreciate your in depth research.
Thanks, Bob