News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

New carpeting for my '59 SDV

Started by Big Fins, June 29, 2013, 12:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Fins

Yes, I still have it. The buyer was a fraud. So I decided to make it the way I want it, seeing as it doesn't cost me anything to keep it in the garage. The seats broke my back to drive any distance in. So I found a set of blue leather seats out of a '70 SDV in excellent condition a little over 100 miles from me and I went to get them.

The rear base is a bit narrower than the '59 seat base and it leaves a void to be filled. No problem now. I searched and searched for cut-n-sewn carpets. Good luck. All I found was cheapie heat to a pan molded junk. And the carpet quality itself wasn't worth discussing.

That is, until I found Newark Auto. Ben and I talked for a while and he said he could make me what I wanted and they are for a '59, not a '60 with the smaller hump.

I opened up the carpet box today to see what I bought. A pleasent surprise.   Someone actually listened to what I wanted, made them the way I wanted them and in the proper color that I ordered.

These are cut-n-sewn. Not heat molded to a model pan. There are cut outs for the accelerator pedal, steering column and cut outs which are edge bound that go around the B pillars. The heel pad is sewn in, not glued on. I also asked for a 'tail' at the ends of each rear side to cover the opening left by the narrower '70 seat bases. Exactly what I ordered I got.

Congratulations to Ben at  www.newarkauto.com

The next test will be fitment in the car. But so far, I'm a happy camper. Good tight looming with what looks to be a durable backing.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Big Fins

These are the rear seats that I have done so far.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Dan LeBlanc

Looks to be top notch. Was he reasonably priced?  I'm in the market soon for one for my 61.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Big Fins

$228.00 shipped with 2 extra yards of material for door panels, 'B' pillar lower ends and kick panels.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Bill Caddyshack

Big Fin, I am very glad that you posted this!! :)    I am looking for carpets for my 1958.

BTW your link needs a dash in the middle     http://www.newark-auto.com/

They are also on eBay -- http://stores.ebay.com/Bens-Auto-Parts/Cadillac-Carpets-/_i.html?_fsub=3060019&_sid=105507372&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Big Fins

Sorry Bill. I typed it out instead of pasting the link in.  :-\

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on June 29, 2013, 10:15:08 PM
That's dirt cheap!

The first set I put in from another vendor was $550. That was about 4 years ago and they faded right out. But they did the job that I needed done at the time. The originals got sucked right up the first time I hit them with a commercial vacuum.
The Cali life may be a bit too dry on some things.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille