News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

fuel (gas) tank restore kit

Started by houstonlayne, June 30, 2013, 01:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

houstonlayne

has anyone here used a fuel tank restore kit ?

band name ?
results ?
Houston Stafford
Allenton PA
1966 Cadillac sedan deVille

MY 59

I put one through my tank, cant remember the brand though.
Cost around $120. and is a 3 stage kit

first a degreaser/cleaner that take 24 hrs, (did that twice)
second is a treatment that etches the inside for the paint
then the paint itself.

worked really well :)

David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

TJ Hopland

I have heard mixed things about the DIY versions.   Apparently results can be a little hit and miss depending on your technique, climate, and patience.   Also some of the formulas are apparently not compatible with some of the stuff found in today's fuels and then you have a real mess.    I have heard that the professional services work well and they also warranty them. 

http://www.gastankrenu.com/   is one I have heard of that has locations across the USA.  I have not used them myself but if I had a tank that was not easily replaceable I think I would consider it.   I read more about people doing this with things like tractors and motorcycles than cars.  That is where I have read about the most DIY failures.   

One trick I have heard to improve your chances of success is to put something like class 5 gravel in the tank and shake it around real good.  The sharp edges will tend to scrape and knock loose anything that can be loosened before you start the cleaning process. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Buster Miller

I took the tank of my 58 to a local Radiator shop, They boiled it out and then I bought the Fuel tank coating from POR15 and it has worked well!!

Caddy Wizard

I have had a radiator shop do it on a few cars and have done it myself once with a reputable kit.  The DIY thing didn't work for me (the epoxy eventually oozed into the fuel line).

For me, I'll keep using a radiator shop even though I am an experienced restorer/mechanic...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

walt chomosh #23510

My Cadillac gas tank sealing was done in a professional shop,and,it almost cost both me and my wife's lives! The sealant peeled loose and totally clogged the tank outlet which resulted in the motor stalling on a long stretch(no place to pull over) of bridge late at night....and we were both wearing dark clothes!(with no 4way flasher!) (Also,I had some air in my brake system and thus pumping the brake pedal took the "play" out and my brake light switch wouldn't activate!) I pushed it(1955CDV) to the other side(it took EVERYTHING I had!) and ran away from it everytime a car approached! I cut the top of the tank off and scraped all of the sealant away and rewelded it back. Also,my experience sealing a vintage Harley tank was another failure.(believe me I bought quality sealant and followed their instructions exactally) It also peeled away!
  No more tank sealant in my vehicles.....my 2cents....walt...tulsa,ok