News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

59 Cadillac - Trunk Photos

Started by Dan Eckstein, July 05, 2013, 10:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Eckstein

Hello

I am restoring a 1959 Cadillac Coup DeVille that was not assembled when I bought it.  I am looking for photos to see how the trunk is normally finished.  Also are there any side panels in the trunk?  My car didn't come with any panels so I do not know. 
Thanks.
Thank you for your time,
Dan Eckstein
CLC #24850

Grant Owen

Attached a couple of pictures from my 1960's both trunks are completely original, 59 are the same apart from the Cardboard lining at the bumper end.

Hayden P

Grant... I am about to get my trunk dipped with the rest of panels and body to get paint stripped. How do you replace this lining in the underside area of trunk lid ?

Grant Owen

Hayden the only way to do this is is how the factory did it , remove the Skin from the Frame & replace the Insulation. I you are acid dipping the panels make sure they are not using Sulphuric Acid as this can't be neutralised properly. Afterwards I would recommend pouring Epoxy into the seams & channels & move the panels around so the Epoxy can get into them .This will protected these areas from future rust. The pictures of mine you are looking at are original Trunk Liners & trunks  from my 60's

Quentin Hall

Caustic will revolve paint. Phosphoric will neutralise the caustic and remove rust. Phosphoric is the main ingredient of  most metal preps. Peeling back a trunk is a laborious task that could lead to bigger problems than it,s worth, unless you really know your way around panel work. You can carefully cut the cardboard to a fraction bigger than the correct size and try and slide it under perhaps with a plastic spatula .
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Hayden P

It's not sulphuric acid... It's an environmentally friendly product... Not sure exactly... Sits in bath for a week or so. Maybe I will just get some tuck n roll made up to fit the spaces. It's a mild kustom after all..

Thanks for tips... I will cut insulation out before dipping.

59-in-pieces

Dan,
Once again, I did not see your response that the photos Grant sent you satisfied your needs.
Therefor, I offer up some additional random photos from various cars which might help you.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

59-in-pieces

Dan,
Here is some more info on trunk dressing.
And if you are going to do it right, you will need the clips.

Grant
Does one of my photos look like your car - great example.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Jeff Wilk

"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Dan Eckstein

All,

Thanks for the photos.  Very helpful!!
Thank you for your time,
Dan Eckstein
CLC #24850