News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

47 cadillac rear fender fittup

Started by m.patterson56, July 08, 2013, 11:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m.patterson56

I have a 47 convert that has had a lot of previous body work done. While fitting the rear fenders, I have quite a gap between the rocker panel and the front lower portion of the rear fenders. The rocker area has a reverse curve at the very back, while the fender edge is straight. I am assuming that I will have to modify the fender to fit the body shape, but the stainless rock shield has a straight edge on it. If anyone could provide a closeup photo of this area or explain how it should be, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Mike Patterson

Quentin Hall

I am about to repair a 46 conv rear fender at the same spot. If you post a pic of your problem , I'll compare . Q
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

m.patterson56

Hello and thanks for your reply. I bought this car in a box.
Here are a few photos. I think the body is correct. The orig rear fenders were so rusty someone chucked them out. These ones were made up out of pieces from a 4-door sedan. They look pretty good, but maybe not exact, so I am counting on modifying these fenders to fit the body. Having said that, even if I do, I think there will still be a lot of paint showing between the stone shield and the fender welt. I'm curious what the correct setup looks like. Of all the photos I've saved of these cars, none of them show this area.
Also, I'm brand new to forums of any kind and don't really know my way around. I need a couple of parts to carry on with my restoration. Can I advertise here?
Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate your help!
Mike Patterson

Glen

Hi Mike,

Yes it is OK to advertise on this site as long as it is not a commercial operation. 

You should go to the “Want to buy” section and start a new thread. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Quentin Hall

This is a very prone area for rust and most convs have this as a problem area including the subsequent good/ bad repairs done previously.   
        The given is the stainless gravel shield so it looks as though the body isn't full enough due to a rust repair on the body. I would be contouring out the body either by pulling the metal outwards or by hammering from the inside out . It looks too much of a distance to rely on body filler. I have a similar issue with a 46 conv which has been repaired in the same spot in the past, my gap is half yours but still a gap.
   I will be re repairing mine to suit the countour of the stoneshield.   

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

m.patterson56

Thanks Quentin and Glen,
Yeah, I found an old photo of this area of my car with the fender off and the end of the rocker is completely rusted off. That sexy reverse curve in the one photo from inside the fender, has been made up by somebody. The drivers side is a similar shape but the lapped seam has been flushed off. You are right about the filler-I would never put that much on. I think the only thing to do is to cut the rocker open along the bottom, and reshape the body by inserting a spoon, then weld it back up. The stone shield seems to fit the fender OK-the 3 holes line up and it leaves a quarter inch or so of painted fender showing. The fender welt should cover some of this and the rocker panel chrome should help as well.
Let me know how your project turns out!
Thanks again.
Mike Patterson

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Mike: Here are 3 pictures from a friends 47 coupe as my convert is stored for the summer. Not a good fit on the fender welting but you can see the fit between the fender, stone shield and body is a tight fit. As you said you will need to bring the body out to fit the fender and stone shield. Since you say the fender was made from a sedan fender I would recommend that you make a temporary fit of the fender to the body before you modify the body. Fit the fender skirt to the fender, install the sombrero cap and now check to see if you have fender skirt clearance between the sombrero as well as clearance with the outer wall of the tire.    Bill

m.patterson56

Thanks Bill, for taking the trouble to post these photos. They are a big help. Yes, I will put the sombreros and the skirts on, and then modify the rocker panels to fit. Thanks once again.

Mike Patterson