News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Brake shoes

Started by MDHusker01, July 08, 2013, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDHusker01

I'm back in Nebraska on vacation working on Dad's 1950 Cadillac Series 61. I have the brakes apart and one of the front linings is separating. Can somebody recommend a good source for the shoes that won't break me? (pun intended) I purchased a set from O'Reileys and they looked correct, but they were too large for my drums when I got them home.

James Roth

Jay Friedman

What do you need, new brake linings or new brake shoes?  If the problem is that "one of the front linings is separating", if I understand correctly all you need to do is have your current brake shoes re-lined. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Tony and Ginny 429

Rockauto.com
Use Raybestos brake shoes if you can-you need to replace both sets of shoes on the front or the back (on the same axel )
A lentini
1964 Classic Antique Cadillac convertible De Ville
With comfort control
In my family from day one â€" the keeper
For 55 years

MDHusker01

I could have them relined, but my problem is time. I only have about a week left here to work on it and I don't know of anybody local that does relining. Napa here said that the napa part number is TS160, but it would take 4 days to get them. A Raybestos part number would help. In the meantime, I'll keep looking. Thanks!

James

curly

Just FYI, The Napa number is correct, I just redid mine last November.

T Lewis

will fitton

would that NAPA number work on a 51, 60S as well? and would you happen to have a number for the rear too?

curly

Quote from: will fitton on July 08, 2013, 09:40:03 PM
would that NAPA number work on a 51, 60S as well? and would you happen to have a number for the rear too?
The Napa number is the same for front and rear, but I don't think it will work on a 51.  As I understand it, 51 has a 12 inch brake, 50 is 11 inch.

T Lewis

MDHusker01

The shoes I got from O'Reileys were 12" they were their 419 shoes. Maybe they would fit the 51.

J Roth

Jeff Maltby 4194

Take a set of shoes in and ask for any 1950 GM 11" shoes and see if they match up, then ask them about the part # below in link. When I replaced my 49 shoes, they found a set off a 55-6 chevy that matched perfect.

http://www.streetperformance.com/part/bendix/brake-drum-shoe/5556291-r55.html
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500