News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

41 custom Convertible

Started by Quentin Hall, July 09, 2013, 05:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin Hall

Very nice 41 period Custom on Custom Car Chronicle, a new site devoted to traditional customs. Anyone know of this car? Q
PS Bob H, can you post a couple more pics of your 41 and could I submit them ? Might be able to find out who did it.

http://www.customcarchronicle.com/custom-cars/classic-caddy/
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

srk1941

These pictures were taken in Berkeley, Calif. That is 2599 Telegraph across the street, it's still there.

While I don't know that it's the same car, when I was young my father had a friend with a vintage customized '41 Cadillac convertible that looked very much like this. At that time (ca. 1980), the car was in the Sacramento suburb called Citrus Heights. I can't remember that man's name, however. He had several vintage hot rods. But like this car pictured, it had a removeable chopped top, upholstered in a padded leatherette. 
Steven Keylon
1941 Cadillac Convertible Coupe
CLC# 16658

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's one of Bob's that I saved-what a stunning car.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Q,
That MADE MY DAY! A  long lost "sister" car to mine. I'm trying to find out if that car still exists.
Jeff,
Thanks for posting the picture.

I joined that site last night. I have a # of things to discuss with Rik.
I'd like to post the picture.
Q,
OK with you?
Regards, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Quentin Hall

Some may say that custom Cadillacs belong in the Modified forum. The more I look at the custom movement that started in the late thirties, as the great coachbuilders one by one went out of business, evolving later into the Hot Rod movement in the 60's, I realise that it does have a place in the legimate scheme of things. After all Harley Earl started out as a Cadillac customiser and in effect that is exactly what a car stylist is.
   The period I am particularly interested in is the late 30's thru to the early 50's. There was a lot of back yard experimentation going on with young guys just back from the war and a lot of creativity going on. Suddenly guys had the skills to weld and fabricate and there was a lot of war surplus to be had.  I have a stack of Popular Mechanics magazines from this era and I really like the idea of DIY and the "backyard and "shed" being the man's domain. (Possibly also that my wife has kicked me out of my home and says "live in your shed" haha.)
      Q

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

srk1941

Bob, here is the link to the similar custom '41 convertible that sold recently at Bonham's. It shares many of the same design attributes as this old Berkeley custom...

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20322/lot/433/

Steven Keylon
1941 Cadillac Convertible Coupe
CLC# 16658

Meltudball

The rear window has a strong "Derham" influence.